Home Access HIV test accuracy
I'll try to make it short.I  have been with my husband for 15 years but before that I did have unprotected sex with other men.I am 45,at the age of 29 I tested neg. at a lab(blood draw test) also at 30 years of age tested negetive at same lab.After that I felt anxious over the years despite my relationship(totaly faithful to each other),with my husband so in the course of 10 years I have taken 3 Home Access tests and tested negetive.The other day I asked my dr. is opinion of the Home Access test this is what he said."I am not familier with that test but I do not think a finger prick test is sufficiant enough blood to do an antibody test,and that in order for the FDA to pass a product it only has to work 80 percent of the time.This has got me thinking that the last 3 Home Acess tests are useless.What is your opinion.?Should I trust the Home Acess test ? Or in your opinion should I retest at a lab.Thank You.Greygirl

This discussion is related to Indertermediate OraQuick Results, Scared.
It is accurate and conclusive. The doctor that you might have consulted must be a GP. HIV is a topic of subject matter expertise and only an HIV specialist can give you a correct advise. Please ignore what your doctor said and move on. If you think it's difficult for you to get this off your mind, get your question answered from an infectious disease specialist / HIV specialist. I promise, he will tell you the same thing. You are safe and conclusively negative.
Thank you so much for your concern and information.Over the years I have heard that the Home Access test is very accurate.I'ts been on the market for 15 years.I just think that the FDA would pull it  if it were not accurate and putting people at risk for possible inaccurate results.It's confusing sometimes because different doc's have diff.oninions.Sometimes I get freaked out but thanx so much for your  response.It helps to know people are out there to talk to.Stay Safe and healthy,Greygirl ps I may call an infectious disease DR. just to move on.Thanx
Does anyone have any info on the accuracy of the Orquick gum swab test.I hear that it isn't accurate.Too many false positives.Why don't they take it off the market?Thanks Greygirl555
The Oraquick Orasure Oral Transudate Test is absolutely accurate. It has a slightly higher rate(.2%) of False Positives because of it's sensitivity/specificity rates. This is still exceedingly rare. It is just this test's sensitivity that makes it so valuable at catching early infections. They don't take them off the market because they are an excellent Point of Care test. Very non-invasive, extremely accurate, cost effective and allow for convenient pre/post test counseling.

-JC-
JeanClaude,thanx so much for the info.My husband had to take an HIV test for a life insurance policy .He tested negetive on the Oraquick Orasure swab test but then I started hearing the false positive results a while ago and got to wondering again.I just wondered why would an insurance company use an inaccurate test and take a chance on insuring a person who may be positive.Thanx again.You were a big help.Graygirl555