HIV Prevention Community
I know it was stupid..now I am freaked

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I know it was stupid..now I am freaked

Hi, first time poster here.  18 days ago I had unprotected oral (giving and receiving) and vaginal sex with a man three times each that day with him cumming only the last time but not within me.  14 days ago, I had unprotected vaginal sex with him and he came within me.  On the last occasion, I had broken skin on one side of my vulva.  He does have herpes but did not have any apparent sores on either occasion, although, he did have the beginning of a cold sore on his lip.  We did talk about HIV testing and he claimed he was completely clean.  He is a Caucasian, former Navy officer medically retired in 2007 due to a stroke in 2006 (for which he is still under a doctor's care) who was married for 18 years, divorced, remarried and has a 9 month old son and his wife just had a miscarriage after two months.  I know it was stupid but he claimed to be in love with me and ready to marry me.

Last week, one week after my last encounter with him, I developed a low grade fever that lasted three days with a slight fever the evening of the fourth day and no fever since.  I developed a genital ulcer in the spot where the broken skin on my vulva had been but then, the next day, I developed little blisters that grew together and became an ulcer next to it.  I also discovered three ulcers right at the opening to my vagina. I have one new blister that has now burst next to the original blister on my vulva.   I had no other symptoms except loss of appetite, but I have been dieting pretty seriously and I have been WORRIED sick.  Yesterday, 13 days after my last encounter, I had a very slight sore throat.  This morning, I have one tender lymph gland on the back of my head/neck.  Today, I have no sore throat but my tonsils are showing a few white spots.  I should mention that I have been fighting chronic tonsilitis since early July  and so my tonsils have been slightly inflamed already.

I have had no other symptoms.  I know I am freaked over not much.  I suspect I have contracted herpes and, while I am not thrilled with that, I can deal with it.  What makes me MORE crazy is thinking I might have HIV.  I have barely slept, barely eaten and spend all my time looking for symptoms online (I know, stupid).  I will be tested as soon as is possible, but should I be overly concerned in the meantime?  

Thank you...

Thank you so much for your help.  

3 month test will be conclusive.
Thank you.  I intend to get tested.  I guess I am just trying to find a LITTLE peace so I can sleep.  *smile*  But honestly, thank you for your post.
He would have been tested regularly if he was in the military (at least, up until 2007). If he  isn't a bisexual then the chance that he has HIV is close to zero.
I am almost 100 certain he is not bisexual...and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your response.  Thank you.