HIV Prevention Community
IMPORTANT

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

IMPORTANT

2 weeks ago i shared a drink straw for a cold ice water with my friend who is in high risk of HIV in his primary stages. While sharing the drink straw that time, I HAD A BAD SORE THROAT WITH VISIBLE WHITE PUS IN IT AND SOME ULCERS DURING THAT TIME WE SHARED THE DRINK STRAW. Therefore we might have saliva or even blood contact from out mouth through the drink straw we shared.

Real worried as today, which is exactly 2 WEEKS SINCE THAT EXPOSURE, I have a sore throat and Fever And a bad Flu and a  Cold right now. HOW? im so worried... thank you people for any help and explanation whether if im safe or at risk. THANKS FOR HELPING ME I GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
Zero risk.If HIV is so infectious then 50%-75% population of the world will be HIV positive.

Take some sex education.

Always use condoms properly and never share needle
            -Chirag
Most of the time my standard answer to people who are worried about HIV is that they be tested. Testing is free in many places, and is available either anonymously or confidentially. I say the same to here.

However, in your case, I will add that it is highly unlikely to have contracted HIV by sharing a soda straw with a "friend who is in high risk of HIV".

However, back to my first response. Go ahead and get tested. At the very least, it will will give you some baseline data indicating that you tested negative on a particular date in 2010. It never hurts to get tested, even if you have no worries! If you are worried, by all means, put your concerns to rest.
thanks.. anymore feedback from more experts so that i know whether am i at risk or not? because of my sickness i have now which is 2 weeks from exposure.. worried.. any help/explanation would be kindly appreciated. sorry people for bothering all of your time =)
even if i had a bad sore throat with pus in my throat during that time? and it was just a cup of ice cold plain water where we shared a drink straw. Was just worried as i had a bad open would in my throat?? SORRY FOR BOTHERING YOU!!! explanation from anyone if its possible.. THANKS SO MUCH !!! worried of my symptons now too..
You can not get HIV from sharing a straw or from sharing a drink or kissing.

tsr58-That responce you gave is wrong. It is not highly unlikely, it is no risk...impossible. Only time testing is needed is 3 months after an actual exposure or for sexually active people not in a committed relationship testing 6 months to 1 year.
at NO POINT were you at risk for contracting hiv from what you have described.  you do NOT need testing.

hiv is transmitted through...
unprotected vaginal / anal intercourse
sharing iv drug works
mother to child
so my symtoms (symptoms) of flu, sore throat,fever and maybe even night sweats are just a pure coincidence right? which are just 2 weeks exactly after the exposure.. nothing to worry about? As im pretty sure my only chance of exposure was when i had a bad sore throat with pus and maybe ulcers at that time 2 weeks ago while sharing a drink straw in a cup of ice cold water exactly 2 weeks and 2 days ago. just want to have a final clarification with you experts lizzy vance and teak. thanks in advance for helping me in my worriedness =)
re-read the replies you've been given
thanks so much!
thanks everyone!