HIV Prevention Community
I'm really really panic

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I'm really really panic

I'll be honest: My life is a nightmare now. I had sex with a prostitute in thailand and the condom broke up. First, I want to know what are the chance of being infected with HIV? Second, what should I do? I'm really really panicing...please help me...please

Mike
I'm glad you're being honest. Lying about stuff on THIS forum is silly.

I don't know what your exact chances are of having aquired HIV, but the FACT remains, you had a risk.

Since the condom broke, you need to test at 12 weeks.

I understand your panic. I wish there was something I could tell you that would allieviate it.
first and foremost...the sex worker had to have hiv in order for you to contract it.  most ppl don't ! ! !  sex workers use condoms to protect themselves from YOU.

a duo test at 4 weeks, or an antibody test at 6 weeks will give you a good indication of your status.  at that point...neither is likely to change.  be sure and follow up at 3 months to get that conclusive result.
HIV is also not transmitted nearly as efficiently as the more common STDs. Your risk is low, don't lose sleep over it. Just test as Lizzie advised.
Should I take PEP?
Not unless the sex worker is confirmed to have HIV, even then it would not be an easy yes or no answer.
Many thanks for your answer Vance.

Can I ask you why u don't recommend it ?
You make me panic now. Don't know what to do
Like Lizzie said, it would be highly unlikely that the CSW had HIV in the first place, they use condoms to protect themselves.

nPEP is a course of very potent (and expensive) antiviral medications that come with its own risks.  Unless someone has had an exposure with a KNOWN + partner, it usually isn't recommended.

If you would like to be evaluated for nPEP, you'd have to go to an ER...it needs to be started within 72 hours of the exposure for it to have a chance of inhibiting HIV.

One more thing, the other reason your risk is probably not very high is because of the brevity of exposure.  You were only unprotected after the condom failed.  Up to that point, you would have been protected.

Don't get panicked over what the last poster said...if you want to check it out, then head to your ER.  Personally, I don't think it is necessary, but it has to be your choice.
Thanks  nursegirl6572 for your answer.

Please guide a little a bit. I've decided not to take PEP. What test should I take ? When?

Also, I post a question on the experts forum but still no answers from a dr. It's been 2 days now
Lizzie told you what tests to take. The doctors on the forums have their own real life patients so it can take some time, especially on the international forum.
Oups sorry, I didn't see the answers.....the anxiety probably
Take a DUO test at 4 weeks and follow up with another test at 3 months--all the best.
hey mike,
take it from me. i had unprotected sex with a prostitute in thailand 3 times in one night about a year ago. I stressed so much but got tested and turned out to be negative. looking back on how stressed i was, i realize whatever the result was i should have just relaxed and enjoyed my life at the time.

if i were you i would go and get tested at 6 weeks, with modern tests your results at 6 weeks are basically conclusive but it's good to get tested again at 3 months just to be absolutely sure.

again, try not to worry about it. the chances of her having it are low, the chances of getting it are low as well, especially since you had a condom on for most of the exposure. keep in mind that HIV is more common in rural thai brothels and ladyboys, not in prostitutes that are having sex with strictly foreigners (foreigners are less likely to have it by far).

you have to start PEP pretty soon after exposure, so if it's been a while then there's no point now.

even though this is undoubtedly stressful, the time will pass and you'll get the test. for now focus on what changes you want to make in your life, and what you will do differently if you get a negative result.

all the best!
-Ben

Thanks Ben. Appreciate your support.

I'm confused with the window period. Some says duo is reliable after 28 days. Some says it's not. Others say 50% accurate after 14 days...

Can someone clarify?
The DUO is virtually 100% accurate at 28 days.
BOTTOM LINE IS...3 months is CONCLUSIVE.
I'm so anxious you can imagine how. Am I really at risk? Should I take a test after 15 days just to have at least a good idea? Please tell me what to do. I'm so afraid!!!
You have no reason to be this anxious. If you are unlucky enough to catch HIV you will take medications and go on with your life. And you're not helping yourself by posting on HIV forums- you're only validating your fears. Find some thing else to do in the time before you test.