HIV Prevention Community
Immune system suppression

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Immune system suppression

Hey guys i've posted before and i would just like to ask one question. I had a sexual encounter with an escort of unknown status (condom broke and there was 2-3 minute vaginal plus some unprotected oral) in November of 2006. At 6 weeks, I tested negative with a rapid test. At week 7, I tested negative with a DNA PCR. And at 11 weeks, I tested negative with a regular antibody test done at Planned Parenthood. But I've read that immunosuppressed people may take as much as 6 months to seroconvert. The problem is that I have latent (non-active) tubercolosis as well as an anxiety disorder. Could my immune system be suppressed severely due to these 2 conditions? I know this isn't a forum for other illnesses and conditions, but I am just really worried. I also just got tested at week 14 and am waiting for the results. Thank you.
mate, this one's real technical nobody is a doctor out here, if I was you I would have consult a doctor
Avatar n tn
Hi there,
According to the doc on this site - can't find the link but trust me - there are NO conditions, excepting end-stage cancer, that might prolong the window period.
I know anxiety can weaken the immune system, but not enough to prevent the production of antibodies.

I'd say you're home free. But testing out past the window period really is a matter for the person themselves. I don't expect your results to change, but you clearly do. That doesn't mean they will.

You're HIV negative. Congrats:)
Ditto.  
Avatar n tn
I agree too. Neither TB, nor anxiety disorders suppress immunity. Actually, the fact that your TB is latent probably means your immune system is in good working order as it controls the TB infection....

Congratulations - you are HIV negative! Go and enjoy yourself.
Avatar n tn
Stop testing for a disease you obviously don't have.  Your negative.  Take care of yourself & your anxiety.  Stay safe:)