HIV Prevention Community
Increase risk of HIV if Herpes from same encounter

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

I've been frantically reading all of the great info on this forum.  I've come across something very troubling and scary.

"In people with HSV-2, the increased risk of HIV, if exposed, is about double, not 5 times.  (The risk is up to 5 times higher if exposed to both viruses at the same time, i.e. if someone catches HSV-2 from an HIV infected partner.)"
-Dr. Hunter Handsfield

The reason I'm so worried is because my early detection test for Herpes,  after 2 weeks post exposure (it was a Herpes HSV IgM test) came back POSITIVE. Meaning I was EXPOSED to herpes during my encounter.

Needless to say, this is making everything much more scary. I already have symptoms of ARS, and now I don't know what to think. I feel doomed.

I don't know what to do.
What you need to do is test at 4 weeks with a DUO and that,s it.You then follow up at 3 months for a 100% conclusive result.This whole situation worrying about symptoms is going nowhere.
I understand and I agree with you and I'm sorry to be so annoying on here right now. Obviously my anxiety is through the roof. However, I'm looking for knowledge, answers, and advice to help get me through the weeks until I can have a conclusive result and peace of mind. That is what you have been providing me and I thank you.

However, I still haven't found a concrete answer about HSV and HIV and the HSV IgM test. From what I've read, it seems obvious that having Herpes sores would increase one's chance of catching HIV if exposed.

But I don't understand why catching Herpes from an encounter would also increase one's chances of catching HIV during the same encounter?  Aren't they different viruses. This is what scares me to death.  A 5% increase is what I have read on the Doctor forums. I'm confused, worried, scared, and horrified by this.
-Scared
i want to go back to your exposure.

you found a condom on the floor...woohoooo ! ! !

you state that there was no semen in it.  my guess is that you were too drunk to finish.

i know that you are anxious...and obviously have some general health anxiety also...but you are letting your thoughts and fears get out of control.

even if she has hiv (which is highly unlikely) the odds are definitely with you.

you have been assessed and advised as when to test.  you have also been advised that symptoms are never a good indicator to one's status because the symptoms of ars are the same as many common everyday illnesses.

now calm your arse down ! ! !  test at the appropriate time...and STAY AWAY from the alcohol if you cant control what you do.
Ok, I understand your anxiety and yes those facts are correct as the doctors in the expert forum are exactly that,they are experts.That being said with todays more modern and newer tests avaliable to us we can test sooner and relieve some of the stress.We have to place our trust in the experts as they have been working in the field for years and are aware of the latest information regarding testing and risk.If they are saying that a DUO test at 4 weeks is 99% accurate and conclusive then believe it.A follow up test at 12 weeks will make it 100% official.You need to except the facts.
Thank you Lizzie Lou!

I agree, finding the condom on the floor was reassuring, but not knowing what I did, etc. etc., knowing if I didn't use it for a while, finished without it, finished at all, etc. etc. is most frightening.

Coupled with the situation and how this all happened. I was blacked out drunk and picked up off of the street by a much older woman who seemed very, I don't know how to say this politely, but shady.

The one time I spoke to her she said she didn't have anything.  I told her I'd pay any amount of money if she would go get an HIV test with me, but she said she was having a physical soon and that I shouldn't bother her again. Her not wanting to get tested again scared me.

Finally, the testing I had done by samedaystdtesting....which I don't recommend to anyone ( I still don't have my gohn and chlamydia results). My Herpes IgG were negative (which was no surprise, because I have always been clean and had been with the same girl for 4 years prior) but my Herpes IgM was POSITIVE!!! Meaning, I had recently developed antibodies to Herpes....meaning, in my mind, I wasn't safe and that my chances of HIV have increased two-three-four-possibly five fold.

And lastly, I know symptoms are never a good way to diagnose. But it is hard for me to separate the huge crack running down the center of my tongue at exactly 2 weeks post exposure, which has lasted now to 3 week post exposure, as simply coincidence. I went to the dentist yesterday and he confirmed Geographic Tongue. I asked the dentist if he knew if this was a symptom of HIV and he was very confused and didn't answer. I've also recently developed a slight rash on my trunk.

Lizzie, this is all too much for me. All of those factors. I'm literally going insane. Not sleeping. Can't do my work. Can't study. Can't work out. Can't read. This is horrible and horrifying.
thank you as well Getitright77, you have been very helpful. Maybe I will do the 4 week test. Is it anonymous?
It can be if you want it to be,but what,s the big deal,there is nothing to be ashamed of.Thousands of people have Hiv tests everyday.Take the test.
this rash is really really scaring me. It just started yesterday. :<
Avatar n tn
If you read the herpes boards on this website, the experts there say over and over again that the IGM test is flawed and should never be ordered on an adult.  For conclusive HSV results, ask for the IGG type specific test 3 months after the most recent exposure.