HIV Prevention Community
Is 3 months conclusive

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Is 3 months conclusive

Is a 3 months HIV test after exposure conclusive .

Also is the 6 months test only advised for people who  are on chemotherapy, immunosuppressive drugs (e.g. transplant patients), or chronic IV drugdrug abusers.

?
3 months + negative Elissa= No HIV
can you coment on the 6 month part , also what % after 3 months makes it conclusive.
3 months with the latest test is conclusive by many experts. you are correct about 6 months. It also depends on the risk of exposure. Dont stress enjoi life to the fullest
So if it was low risk exposure further testing after 3 months is not needed
You should ask your doctor. I am no expert. But most counselors said 3 is good depending on exposure.  
BASHH Statement on HIV window period
15 March 2010

This is from British Association of Sexual Health and HIV (BASHH). Guidelines adopted in Singapore. When I mention Singapore, you should have known that they aim for perfection.
Be calm after reading this. It is pretty latest released on 15 March 2010.

HIV testing using the latest (4th generation) tests are recommended in the BHIVA / BASHH / BIS UK guidelines for HIV testing (2008). These assays test for HIV antibodies and p24 antigen simultaneously. They will detect the great majority of individuals who have been infected with HIV at one month (4 weeks) after specific exposure.
Patients attending for HIV testing who identify a specific risk occurring more that 4 weeks previously, should not be made to wait 3 months (12 weeks) before HIV testing. They should be offered a 4th generation laboratory HIV test and advised that a negative result at 4 weeks post exposure is very reassuring/highly likely to exclude HIV infection. An additional HIV test should be offered to all persons at 3 months (12 weeks) to definitively exclude HIV infection. Patients at lower risk may opt to wait until 3 months to avoid the need for HIV testing twice.

I may not be visitng the forum for quite some time. Please help me dissemintate this information to others who need this. Thanks

Source:  http://www.bashh.org
no test is conclusive before 3 months...guidelines says 3 months so we must test till 3 months to be absolutely sure
Two days ago i received oral sex from a woman i just met. the oral sex was unprotected. We then preceeded to have PROTECTED vaginal sex. After the vaginal sex i realised that my condom had a little blood in it. After further inspection, i realised that i had received a little cut (bleeding a little bit) possibly from the teeth of the woman whiles she was giving me the oral sex.
1. I want to know if the little cut i had during the oral sex could be an entry point to my blood stream which can lead hiv? I'm worried about the possibility that this woman might have had bleeding gums and a little bit of her blood might have touched the open cut on my penis. Can this lead to hiv?
2. can i get hiv from going down on a woman. i sometimes have bleeding gums when i brush my teeth. Dont u think her vaginal secretions can lead to hiv bcos of my bleeding gums.
1- no
2-no
no no no no

oral sex is hard to transmit HIV.  I think Dr. HHH sent you info on this yes?

and using a condom during intercourse is almost 100 percent effective against HIV.

The little bit of blood here and there, in your teeth and gums bleeding etc etc...it's very unlikely.  The conditions have to be perfect for HIV to get into the blood stream, like direct intercourse without a condom.

Nothing is impossible, but this really almost is impossible.

OH and three months is fairly accurate.  You are right about the 6 month statement, for people who have very low immune systems.  But for the most part 3 months is the waiting period.  I've had doctors tell me 7 months because I think they want to be extra sure but I don't know why...I think if you ask any of the experts on here they wouldn't recommend you worrying further.  Of course for peace of mind you can always get tested a million times but you will just drive yourself crazy. I always drive myself crazy. Don't do it!!  You do not have HIV.  
thanks
sorry to bother u guys again but the cut on my penis which i received during the oral sex was open and bled a little. and if she bled too cant her blood come in contact with my open cut and lead to hiv.
sorry for the many questions. im just super paranoid. this will be my last question
Thanks. u guys are so helpful

· Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusive negative results or a no-risk situation will be based up the criteria MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
* After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
* Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
* Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.