HIV Prevention Community
Is Oraquick reliable enough?
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is Oraquick reliable enough?

I'll spare you all the timeline of my symptoms, and just stick to what is still happening.  For those that are interested, you can read them here.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/Negative-tests-but-symptoms-persist/show/1894470#post_8914508

I had a potential exposure 19 November 2012.  Doctor performed blood tests after 2 and 8 weeks & told me I was all clear.  I've tested with Oraquick oral swabs every week since, all negative.  I found the MFG instructions for using the test with blood on Friday (130 days post) and that test had a faint grey line by T, almost invisible background was pink. I know the OTC is not for blood, so not sure how to take that one.  That freaked me out, so I used the oral version again yesterday(19 weeks).  Again negative, definitely.

The reason I can't let it go is what's still going on with my body.  Diagnosed splenomegaly & constant pain under my left rib cage.  Night sweats all the time.  Dandruff, & peeling hands.  Constant groin/thigh pain.  And today on my way home it felt like someone was standing on my right testicle.

I've tested negative for all STDs including HIV twice.  New doc won't do another lab test until May (6 mo.).  I also saw two posts, apparently by the same person that have me pretty worried.  He went by 'benboy' here and asked the same question at TheBody.com, signed Ben.  Apparently he had negative oral swabs out to 5 months & still tested positive.  I want to be normal again, so freaking bad!
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
186166_tn?1385262982
ben lied !
Blank
Avatar_f_tn
Thanks Lizzie, I'm hoping that is the case.  It does seem a curious thing to lie about, however.  There are plenty of strange people in the world though, I'm certainly a testament to that.  I understand that Oraquick is 92% sensitive beyond the window period.  What I haven't found is a solid explanation for the remaining 8%  If the reason is biological, then I still have reason to be concerned, if it's procedural I can rest a little easier as even I can't screw the same simple task up that many times!
Ultimately, I know I won't rest easy until: 1. The six month lab based test clears me, or 2. Someone figures out what's actually wrong with me and fixes it!

I'm not scared anymore, not worried, I just want resolution.  Anxiety, depression & mental issues are indeed powerful things.  They don't cause a persons spleen to swell up though!  I'm not anxious or depressed anymore, frustrated is more accurate.

Thanks again Lizzie
Blank
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
HIV Prevention Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...
Mar 26 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
1344197_tn?1392822771
Blank
Vaginal vs. Laparoscopic Hysterecto...
Feb 19 by J. Kyle Mathews, MD, DVMBlank
Top HIV Answerers
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
palash
Dhaka, Bangladesh
Avatar_m_tn
Blank
hangon51
Toronto, ON
186166_tn?1385262982
Blank
LIZZIE LOU
Auburn, AL
7613937_tn?1393964502
Blank
ashibhat
India
580755_tn?1357673215
Blank
Vance2335
Buffalo, NY
480448_tn?1397235344
Blank
nursegirl6572
PA