HIV Prevention Community
Is there a chance of infection?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Is there a chance of infection?

I have a question that has really become an obsession for me during the past weeks. It is about if I had a chance of getting HIV from my sexual encounter with another man.

My story is the following.

I am a bisexual man, almost 30yo. About four weeks ago I encountered a young male in a gay/bi movie theatre. It was my first time ever in a such a place, and now I have huge regrets for it.

I had sex with this man I met. We kissed and I touched his penis with my right hand while simultaneously he masturbated me. We continued doing so for few minutes and after that I gave him oral sex but with a condom. I pointed out to him that I will only have sex with condom. He agreed so I gave him oral sex. I was a little bit concerned about the fact that his penis touched my teeth once in a while even though I tried to be careful not to cause any damage on the condom.

After that I received anal sex from him and I used lots of lubrication. Once in a while I touched his penis with my another hand just to be sure the condom is in the place it should be. The guy ejaculated and so did I. He pulled his penis away from me and I saw that the condom was still on.

The problem is that when I saw him withdrawing from me the condom had slipped away a little bit from the shaft of the penis. However condom was still covering the penis for a lenght of approximately 10 centimeters. I could also see that the reservoir of the condom was filled with semen.

But immediately afterwards I started panicking. Therefore the main question is:

Is there a possibility that semen could have leaked inside me from the bottom of the condom? Is this possible even though I saw that the reservoir of the condom was filled with semen? Could it be that the guy had not been fully erected and therefore during the ejaculation and immediately afterwards the semen could have escaped the condom because the condom was off for about 5 cm from the initial position? Like I described earlier, in the end condom was still covering about 10 centimeters of the shaft of the penis.  

I am totally freaking out because if I had any semen inside me then I have a very high risk of getting infected with HIV.

I am going to get tested but meanwhile I feel like I can't sleep - that is the level of my anxiety.
i think you absolutely think a positive way. its good. you are not in risk. HIV can not live out side. its need a laboratory environment. you are not an exposure.
You were never at risk of contracting HIV in any of the situations that you've provided. HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.

HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child
Thanks Teak for your support and reply. I appreciate.

I think I'm aware of how HIV is transmitted so my freaking out is more about the technical issue with the condom that slipped. I mean could there be a chance for transmission under the conditions I described? :(