HIV Prevention Community
Is using condom really safe sex??

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Is using condom really safe sex??

We hear so much about safe sex and using condom.
But I also hear that even for pregnecy condoms are only 80% safe and HIV virus is even smaller than sperm. That means it is even less effective for HIV. Are we misleading people by saying having sex with condom is safe?. Looks like it is not safe at all if it provides only 6-70 peccent protection.

When condoms used correctly and do not break there is no risk with HIV. Nor is there a risk with pregnancy. That 80% is due to people not using them correctly and breakage. Nothing gets through a condom...not sperm not HIV.
Thanks a lot for your reply. How often do they break? is there any data availabe that shows  what is the probability of it breaking. With my luck I am sure it will break :-)
Use the condom correctly and it won't fail.
Thanks for your reply. I see your profile, you say you got HIV in 1984. Do you still have it.

If I may ask you a personal question, you don't have to answer. If you are still HIV that means you don't do intercourse with anyone?
Do you still have it? HIV doesn't go away.
Yes I still have protected intercourse.
wow, very good to  hear that, god bless. so that confirms that condom can be really trusted. Your partner does not have HIV ?  and she knows you have HIV?  
No. Yes..
if you read my very first question on this forum to the doc, you will see that I do sex with escorts but never do intercourse. I just chicken out. I was thinking about having intercourse with one escort with condom,  that's why thinking if I can gain enough courage to have intercourse.with condom. Look like I might be safe If I  do so with condom.
what do you mean use them the correctly? Don't u just put them on?
How old are you?
23

I meant do u have to do anything extra?
Do you know how to put on a condom? Do you know to use waterbase lube?
is there any article or thread on this forum giving tips to wear condom correctly?