HIV Prevention Community
Its EXACTLY 3 Months now - My Doctor's words make me worry...!

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hi All,

Its been exactly 3 months today from my potential exposure. (Oral sex with a wounded tongue).

You all supported me so much and educated me about the HIV and possibilities of transmission.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT - ITS BECAUSE OF YOU GUYS I MANAGED TO BREATH EASY ALL THESE 3 MONTHS.
The early weeks after my potential exposure were horrible and the most painful times of my life so far. But your words and support made sure I dont go crazy and live normal for all this time.

My Question -

8 weeks after my potential exposure I tested for HIV and came out Negative on a Tri-Dot 3rd Gen Antibody test.
It was a relief to know that I am not exposed and as you all assured that Oral was safe - I was even more relaxed.

2 Weeks after this negative test, I went to see a HIV specialist near by as it was a FREE camp and I wanted to know the accuracy of the Tri-Dot test, I met a doctor there and I explained her my case. She was kind and sounded knowledgeable and appreciated me for using condom for Vaginal intercourse, but she did not sound 100% sure about the risk involved with unprotected oral sex and she advised me to get a test done after completion of 3 months. (2 weeks to go)

So after 2 weeks from the doctor's free advise, today I went to her and got tested again on the HIV Tri-Dot 4th gen with Antibody and Antigen P24. (This time its a 4th gen test)
It was negative again and I was so happy.
But the doctor shocked me, she asked me to get tested again after completing 6 months and she advised me to go for a Western-Blot test.
Now that sounded scary, I was finally out of this mental tension with 2 happy negative results and the doctor asked me to retest after 6 months and that too a Western Blot.

I read about Western Blot and that Test is a big daddy of HIV testing and it really scared me, also it is not a cheap test as the Tri-Dot. (In India)

So I want to know:
- DO I HAVE TO RE-TEST WITH WESTERN-BLOT AFTER COMPLETING 6 MONTHS AS THE DOCTOR SAID ?
- DOES IT MEAN THAT THE 3rd AND THE 4th Gen TRI-DOT TESTS ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO CONFORM MY STATUS ?
- HOW GOOD IS A TRI-DOT TEST ANYWAYS ?
- TODAY IS MY 3rd MONTH, SO WOULD YOU SUGGEST I WAIT FOR ONE MORE WEEK AND RETEST WITH TRI-DOT ?
- I AM UNABLE TO UNDERSTAND WHY SHE ASKED ME TO RETEST FOR WB THIS TIME... !

Please advise, Do I need to go by the doctor's word and get a WB done ?

Thank you All Once Again.
- Sam

Firstly you need to get a new doctor she has no idea what she is talking about.

1. No you do not need to retest, you are conclusively negative.
2.All generation of tests would be conclusive at 3 months
3.Tridot tests are perfectly relaible
4.No you do not need to retest
5.Sheasked you do do this because she is not up to date on HIV and testing, get a new doctor

3.Tridot tests are perfectly relaible
4.No you do not need to retest
I too have felt much anxiety about HIV but the WB is well out of date, - there is a clinic in London who have only done 1, - yes 1!!!! In the last 12 months.

A guy Called Dr Bob on thebody.com has an intersting piece on his blog about this too,- I would agree with zamzam entirely...

I am stuckn in the anxiety circle too, - my thoughts are with you...
Not all doctors are knowledgeable in HIV field. One of my doctor in general clinic told  my friend to have conclusive test at 6 months. The count has to start from 1st time blood drawn. Thus, my friend was tested more than 6 times also at the 8 months. All came back negative. Some of the doctors are not specialized in HIV field.Their roles is just to send the blood sample to other labs for testing.
You need to see a STD clinic doctor instead of the general clinic advice.

As Zamzam4 rightly advised, you do not need any test. You were never at a risk of HIV, therefore whenever you get yourself tested, it will always be negative.

Oral sex is a zero risk activity and not a single case of HIV reported todate from an exposure involving oral sex alone. This is from the database of the history of the disease, spread over three decades.

Even if someone was exposed to a real risk (unprotected vaginal or anal sex or sharing works for drugs), 3 month test is final and conclusive. Six months time is only for those, with supressed immnune system for example on chemotherapy.

Your doctor,s got no idea.Find another one ASAP.
Hi wish you a good day.

Relax first thing you dont have HIV.

6 months stories are old and out dated stories. Now a days we use advanced test to test Hiv.  

HIV negative  at 3 month is final and conclusive no need futher testing its
  waste of money and time.

Rely on a STD experts  that will be very helpful .  Even doctors are confused sometimes with HIV situations as they are not got updated on new developments.

Relax enjoy
Thank you so much ZamZam, your advise really helped me.
Thanks to all you guys who took time to read and respond to my question.

I am so happy for being Neg and I thank God for giving me one more chance to live normal. I have promised my self to remain monogamous for rest of my life and always think of the ones who love me before I risk my self.

I think you guys are right and I totally trust you.
I dont blame that doctor because she was young and must have had little professional experience, but now that I have accepted the fact that I am Neg, I dont have to worry about the doctor's advise.

Thanks You --  :)