HIV Prevention Community
Latex allergy and HIV Risk

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Latex allergy and HIV Risk

I had a protected insertive oral sex with a CSW with a latex condom (only kind she had). I finished with her masturbating me. I have a mild allergic reaction to latex. Burning sensation on tip of penis and discomfort below stomach area. I usually don't notice the symptoms until a few hours later or sometimes even longer.
My question is

1. Is it possible that my penis is already irritated when the condom was put on, even if i don't feel any discomfort or itchiness?
2. Can allergic reaction from latex i.e skin redness and rash increase the chance of HIV transmission?
3. she used the same hand to remove the condom to masturbate me. Should i be worried about any hiv risk, if my skin is irritated and she masturbated me?

-Thanks
Why are you using latex when you know you are allergic to latex? You can use polypropylene condoms which are just as effective as latex in preventing HIV transmission. As for the rest of your questions you were never at risk.
Avatar n tn
After this exposure i test negative at 5 week Gen 4 HIV 1/2Aab/Ag test.  However, i exposed.  My question is 2 weeks ago i exposed myself to latex again had similar burning sensation for few days and stomach discomfort. Its been 2 weeks however, whenever after masturbating i can still feel the same burning sensation and sometimes  my scrotum turns really red and slight stinging sensation below my scrotum near my anus? is it common for latex allergies to last this long? and should i be worry about STD? i don't see any sign of discharge or sores
No offense....but really....how silly is this?  You KNOW you have a latex allergy (or sensitivity), yet you continue to expose yourself to latex??  YES, symptoms from Latex sensitivities can linger for quite a while, and to re-expose yourself, you likely made the severity of the reaction much worse.  Latex reactions, generally speaking...can be quite significant.

Go out and buy the proper type of condoms, like teak advised you to do.  Provide your OWN condoms...which is always a good idea anyway...this way you have the proper size and type.

Your symptoms will eventually dissipate after time....just DO NOT re-expose yourself to Latex again!  You can also ask your physician if the symptoms are persisting to advise you on some medications you could take to help the reaction along (ie...Benadryl, or other antihistamine, or a short, tapering dose of a steroid, like Prednisone).