HIV Prevention Community
Lipoatrophy

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Lipoatrophy

for about 4 months now I've had a big dimple on my hip (picture of it: http://i19.tinypic.com/4kne5co.jpg ).  i have been trying to figure out what it is the whole time and i'm just now finding what seems to be it...."lipoatrophy or lipodystrophy"  well from what i read that is a symptom of HIV or from repeated injections to that area, which i've never injected anything there.  i am very high risk for HIV.  does anybody know if my dimple looks like it's lipoatrophy?
-2 Comments Post a Comment
Not everyone that has HIV suffers from lipodystrophy. It is usually caused in people with HIV that are on certain medications, such as Zerit.
is that the only way, or can it happen just from the HIV itself?  if so, does that sort of thing show up early on or later in the infection?
It usually only happen with meds and it's with people that have been on certain meds for years. It never shows up early.
Avatar n tn
What do you mean by early?...is a year post exposure too early?  Thanks
Most people are on certain drugs for years before noticing lipodystrophy. Not all HAART meds cause it. Zerit is one of the main ones that I can think of that causes wasting.
It has nothing to do with HIV, but has to do with the medication that one takes for HIV.
Avatar n tn
Lipodystrophy is also called "wasting"?  I think i heard of that term before but it think it was a symptom of advanced HIV, is that right?