HIV Prevention Community
MD says cbc looks like hiv

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

MD says cbc looks like hiv

A month ago I did a health screen, which I do every year for Hypertension and never received a call regarding the lab results. I came in for a refill on my high blood pressure meds. Mind you this place has 5 different doctors. One Doctor I’ve never met came into the room and looks at me like he’s got some really really bad news. He shuts the door and says I hate to ruin your weekend but I have to tell you this and I’m looking confused and he says, you’re cbc looks like you have HIV and I said well how could that be and he lets me see it and I said that’s been my count for almost 4 years, you should have that in your file and he says we may have lost past results. I told that I have Herpes from when I was molested at 12 years old and I am now 34, I haven’t had sex in ten years do to depression and I was tested regularly up until last year. I just did a health screen with my GYN which the test is very similar that everything was fine. So he says well maybe it’s because you’re African American, maybe it’s nothing, plus everything else is normal, maybe you should still see a hematologist to be safe, don’t worry. I have not slept or eaten, I am just in a shock I can’t imagine to detail. Then he calls me back the next day and apologizes saying that he was thinking about our conversation all yesterday and did some research Lisinopril a high blood pressure pill can cause this disorder as well as the fact that I take depression pills, stress, and have HSV2 and 1, he said don’t rush though it’s not an emergency. My sister who is a nurse suggests I see another doctor ASAP and drop this clinic. Here are my results below.

CBC w/differential/platelet
WBC 2.9- Low- Flag
RBC- 4.12- Normal
Hemoglobin- 11.6- Normal
Hematocrit- 34.2- Normal
Platelets- 326- Normal
Neutrophilis- 57- Normal
Lymphs- 28 - Normal
Monocytes- 14- High
MVC- 83MCHC 33.9 -Normal
RDW- 14.8- Normal

Iron and TIBC
IRON Bind Cap= 354- Normal
UIBC- 299- Normal
Iron Serum- 55 - Normal
Iron Saturation 16- Normal-

Vitamin B12 and Folate
Vitamin B12- 1370- High- 424ml Higher the highest range 946
Folate Acid Serum >19.9- High

Should I see a hematologist?
Your doctor is a quack. A CBC will not tell you if you have HIV or not. The only way to know if you have contracted HIV after an exposure is by being tested for HIV.
I agree with you and I've always appreciated reading all of your responses to this forum. After reading my question and you being a professional would these test results spark a concern for you to say this? anyone else could answer this as well.

Thanks for responding!
Would I suspect you of having HIV by looking at your CBC results. NO. If you are worried about HIV then go have an HIV test done. End of discussion.
Nuff said. Thank-you very much for your straight answer.