HIV Prevention Community
Made a BIG mistake

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Made a BIG mistake

Hi All,

My story takes place in South africa.

Two Thursday nights ago i had way too much to drink and myself and a friend ended up at a strip club. When the strip club closed we decided to go to the "club" above. Anyway while having vaginal sex with one of the sex workers my condom broke. I had sex with her for approximately 5 minutes, i dont know at what point the condom broke. I did not climax, so i dont think i need to worry abut getting her pregnant?

Having seen the broken condom she assured me that they go for tests every 6 weeks, this was confirmed by the owner of the establishment. That said i suppose all it takes is for her to have been infected in the last 6 weeks... On Friday morning i seriously felt like committing suicide, i went to my local doctor and told her the story she prescribed Atripla which i started taking immediately. The incident occurred at approximately 3am and i started taking Atripla at 11am so more or less 8 hrs post exposure.

All this said i am extremely worried, i dont know how i am going to get through these 6 weeks before my test. what is the success rate of Atripla as PEP considering all the facts of my case?

Go back to Aidsmeds and reread the replies you were given, ours won't be any different.