HIV Prevention Community
Muscle Pain, Headaches & Night Sweats

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Muscle Pain, Headaches & Night Sweats

About Me:  33yr old Male, with Diabetes, Ulcerative Colitis & GERD. I take Meds for Diabetes but it is till out of control and I should be on Insulin. Recently unemployed with no Health Insurance.

Risk: Broken condom during anal sex(April 23), I was the insertive partner(Top). This was not a rough or prolonged session more two pump chump thing.  My sex partner stated that he was HIV Negative but it had been over a year since his last test. He and I usually see each other several times a year.  He is a closeted Bi male.  
I went to get tested a week after that experience on May 2, 2011 and they did a full STD work up. All test where negative.  I also had been STI & HIV tested six weeks prior for my regular 3mos. check up
I did ask my partner to go get test which he said he did and that he was all Clean. It is the word "CLEAN" that scares me because that is not a word used except by those who don't get tested in my opinion.

Symptoms: On May 24th, I begin having Muscle Pain in my right thigh and shooting pain in my right arm. This pain has engulfed my legs and arms. But it is a dull pain or shooting pain that comes and goes. Not serious enough for pain pills. Sometimes the pain is in my hips, hands, wrist,knees and ankles which started on June 2,2011. The joint pain is more like I need crack my knuckles in those joints then actual aches or pain. This also comes & goes. Often times at night my muscles have a vibrations sensation to them and it keeps me awake. I often check to see if my hands are shaking(which they aren't).  Sometime I would feel like my lymph nodes were pulsing in the groin & under arm area.  But it was never painful just itchy sometimes.

The Headaches began on June 8 and it stated as sinus pressure the swept over my head and face. This lasted all evening and into the night and finally going away in the morning. Since then I've had sinus style headaches without the running nose or  sneezing. The headaches involve temple pain, itchy eyes and off & on sinus pressure.  But the headaches do not feel like my normal sinus headaches of the past. The can come on and be gone in 5 mins or last an hour.

I'm also having Night Sweats, but only 2-3 days a week. These are not bed soaking sweats either, more sweating of the neck and back of the head area. Sorta like sleeping in a home without A/C. Most of the symptoms have been ongoing for a 2-3 weeks.

NO:temperature/Fever
     Flu like body aches
     Diarrhea
     Rash
     Thrush
     Sore throat
     Weight Loss
     Nausua/ Vomiting
     Tiredness
     Fatigue

My question is not about risk, but has anyone else experienced the symptoms in the same way as I've described them during their seroconversion?
This forum does not discuss symptoms. HIV has no specific symptoms.
Please direct me to the forum or website that does discuss symptoms.  When using Google and Bing this website popped up often so I thought it would be a good place to inquire.  Thanks in advance for your honestly and kindness.
Dear Client9,

Teak is right. HIV has no specific symptoms. Common early symptoms include fever, headache, tiredness, diarrhea, nausea, swollen lymph nodes in neck/groin/armpit.

However, these symptoms can be caused by other illnesses or viral infections. You cannot determine if you have HIV or not just by comparing the symptoms. The only way to find out if you have HIV is to get tested.

- 6 weeks post-exposure
- 12 weeks (3 months) post-exposure
- 24 weeks (6 months) post-exposure

If all tests come back non-reactive, then you are HIV-negative.

To ensure the absolute accuracy of these tests, abstinence from risky behaviours is required for at least 12 weeks.

I hope I have helped in some way.
The window period is 3 months. You don't need to test beyond that.