HIV Prevention Community
Muscle spasms a sign of HIV symptom?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Muscle spasms a sign of HIV symptom?

I had unprotected sex with a woman one month ago today. Although I do not have the typical signs of HIV, within the last two weeks I've experienced quick small muscle spasms throughout my body.

I am living with the extreme stress of my job, and the fact I cheated on my girlfriend. The guilt and pain is consuming my life. So much so I visited an ER, emergency care (store front), my general doctor, and a urologist. All four performed some type of test of infectious test. Three days after exposure, I had two complete STD tests performed (blood and urine). Both came back negative. Urologist did a urine test and it came back negative.

So are muscle spasms a symptom of HIV? Spasms only last one or two seconds and occur anywhere in my body. Or is it the ongoing stress and anxiety I'm feeling?

I can hardly concentrate or think of anything else.

Please help. I'm so terrified that my mistake will kill me.

3 days after exposure is too soon to test for STDs. Muscle spasms are not caused by Primary/Acute HIV infection.

But I would like to suggest something as well. My therapist has recently told me this bit of information that I am going to pass on to you.

When we build up a lot of emotions, and we don't express all of them, they build up in the muscles, which could possibly lead to spasms.

Anxiety and stress causes your body to release hormones as a fight or flight response, and the hormones go to your muscles, they cause your muscles to tense up, and when you don't do anything about it, the stress and anxiety builds up in the muscles, thereby making following negative situations even more difficult to cope with. If not dealt with properly over a period of time, this can lead you to the point where you are psychologically and physically exhausted.

Seeing all the things you have written down, that amount of stress you are experiencing would probably drive me more crazy than you! I'm very horrible at handling stress and anxiety, and my physical health is not doing too good because of it. That's because I don't exercise regularly, or at all, really. :(

The prescription you need is physical exercise. Run off your worries, your fears, and your problems (but don't run away from them). Running releases the tension built up in the muscles from stress and anxiety, and it also helps us mentally as well.

You might be too physically strained right now by the stress and anxiety to run very long or very well. But you can work your way up to running. Start by walking, then go speed walking, then go jogging, then go running. The speed of the process depends on how good of in shape you are, of course.
Thank you for the comments. It has gotten to a point that now I notice muscle spasms twitches when I'm sleeping (or at least trying too). I am very bad at handling stress as well.

Throughtout this self imposed ordeal, I have been an emotional wreck. All I really want to do is sleep and remove myself from all activities and people (even my family).

Before a month ago, I used to run everyday. Since this trauma took place, I have not had the emotional energy to attempt to exercise. I shut everything down in my mind and thus my body. I used to run in all types of weather. Now I can't.

However, after reading your reply and suggestion, I will put on my running shoes later today after work and start my recovery process. I will have to push myself and will take it slow. But at least I know that my muscles are reacting to the mega amount of stress I'm under and not HIV.

Thank you for the words and encouragement. I already feel a little better emotionally and mentally. I will post an update in a few days to let you know how I'm doing.

All the best and again thank you!
I know you are not a doctor, but not the body aches and twitches have kind of gone away and now I have severe tailbone pains.  My buttocks is radiating with a warm sensation and when the pain is at its worst, I can hardly walk.  I'm constantly tired, depressed, and suicidal.

Two days ago (28 days after exposure), I had a rapid HIV blood test performed. The result were negative but now any strange feeling I feel is attributed to HIV.  

Please help!  Thank you.
I know how you feel, at least I think I do.

I've never suffered from depression or anxiety in my life however since this HIV scare I've gone from being the life and soul of the party to spending 20 hours a day in bed. I too am getting muscle spasms and in the last few weeks have actually contemplated suicide.

it's been 6 weeks since my exposure and the last test at 4 weeks came back negative. My doctor has now told me to wait 3 months but I do not feel I will last 3 months. I have now developed a number of stress related symptoms and haven't eaten for 3 days.

All I can really say is talk to someone you can trust about the HIV, it may help and avoid drinking to numb to fear. I tried that and it just made things worse.
please look at the date...poster is no longer here