HIV Prevention Community
Needle got pricked

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Needle got pricked

Hi All,
My brother is drug user.He has a bad habbit of taking drugs with other friends and leaving the used needle here and there.Last week I stepped the used needle and it got pricked and made me bled.Now I am thinking about the HIV risk..

Please help me..
you were never under risk. H.I.V. survival rate is weak when exposed to environmental factors. No need for testing. you are fine.
Just being pricked isn't going to put you at risk for HIV. HCV is your concern and you'll need to post those questions in the proper forum.
but I am scared about the needle..If I got immediately after their use,then there will be some chance of infection right ?
Thanks for your quick reply.

But as I told before, anyway the infected needle and the blood on it can infect right ?
No that is not right.
Thank god!!
got some relief..

Just answer last question then I can be sure..When you are saying that infected needle will not infect other,is there any reason for that ?
You have to inject fluids into your body.
thanks ..

But anyway the blood on needle will go into body while poking...that is it is more or less similar to injection..right ?
No this is not similar to injecting infected blood into your body. A needle prick is not going to go very deep and it is not going to go directly into a vein/artery where it can then be transfused throughout the whole body. This is what happens when you inject infected blood into the bloodstream- as drug users would be at risk for.

You had no risk, I assure you. And please advise your brother to not leave his needles/drug works laying around as they pose a danger of injury to others.
K thanks..
You're welcome! Please don't be worried anymore!
Hi Teak,

Just wanted to ask if there is no risk from needle pick then why there are infections in occupational settings ? there are same situation..
Hi Teak,

In occupational exposures infusion takes place.
Same thing happens for needle poke also..?
NO. Did you take the syringe and push it's contents into your body?
No..But when needle gets pricked, the blood with the needle gets injected ,...that is similar to blood injection..
No it doesn't.

* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
* After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
* Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
* Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.