HIV Prevention Community
Negative in rapid hiv test at 7 weeks but positive at 13 weeks.

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I did both the rapid HIV test and traditional blood test(not sure which method, just knew, took blood for test) around 7 weeks(28 feb. 2013) after the unprotected sex(6 jan. 2013) and both results showed negative.

Then I had my 13 weeks(11 april 2013)HIV rapid last thursday, then there was a faint line showed..and the nurse said...I might be positive and said...I had to prepare myself..blah blah blah...

Then asked me to take blood for blood test and result will come out this Friday.

Now, Im freaking out now, couldn sleep and eat....and...honestly..really scared to death...whether it is possible...the result finally turns back to negative?

Is it possible to be negative in HIV rapid test at 7 weeks and then found out positive after 12 weeks?

Sorry, I know..Im not good in asking questions, as Im really..scared and couldnt think..appropriate questions to ask..sorry.

Anyone can help? Please. Thanks for your advices by return.
Tags: HIV
Yes it is possible and it's also possible to have a false positive. What was your exposure?
Sex without condom....
Well if this other blood test comes back positive then a WB will be done. A 7 week is unlikely to change but possible. But the odds are in your favor at this point as this last test being a false positive.
Thanks for ur reply....however, I'm really scared...the nurse said yes, I was most likely positive from next test, as the rapid test was nearly or almost...98% accuracy.....she said..t would be like..win a jackpot...if I got negative result in the blood test.

I really don't know what to do...can't eat, sleep, keep crying, I know..it's useless now....no matter what I do...I just pray..if miracle...can happen...
She is not being honest. False positives do happen.

Was your risk with a woman or man? And where was it at?
My bf.....as he was on trip over few months and..I didn't realize he might have unprotected sex with others...when he was away..

We did like before...without condom...and he did...cum inside me...
Has he tested positive?
No...he said he did in nov...negative...but didn't  tell me....whether he....had unprotected sex with others or not....
So why does he not test now?
He thought........he was ok...just I'm scared myself....
Sorry to hear about your result! Hope to be false.. I will pray for you...so Sugus do you had developed some kind of symptoms in all this time?
No, none at all...but I heard that ...even no symptoms...still have chance....I don't know what to say...
it is highly unlikely that your test at 7 weeks would change.  false positives, on rapid tests, are not "unusual".

i'm betting on that your test will return negative.
Hi, thanks

I hope so, will get you back tmr once I get the report which shows negative...
Then, I can relax...

Now, pray and keep my fingers crossed

Thanks again.
aiya....

just called the nurse...she said..the report has not released yet..as blood just sent last friday..blah blah blah

The report will come this friday and ask me to come at 6:00pm....

Im really scared now.......

God bless me!!!!
We will pray for you sugus...hope to be NEGATIVE!!!  and hope to tell us your results ! God bless us all !
Thanks...a lot..
Keep my fingers crossed..
But it's killing me...to wait....
Good luck to myself and u all.
So sugus do you received the results?
I just saw my report this evening. Thanks god. It's negative.
The consultant said...I'm lucky....I'm the only one..whose report turns back to negative from false positive...(he means the cases he handled)

The screen test is elisa 4th generation
Blood test, elisa and western blot for final confirmation.

Anyway, I feel so happy now and learn that...I won't do without protection anymore.

So I can move on, right?

Thanks to u all. Many thanks.
Yes you can, 3 months from exposure correct?
Was the 4th generation elisa negative too?
13-14 weeks after exposure
False positive in screen rapid test, elisa 4th generation.
Took blood for wb test and elisa, the consultant said.

He said they did few tests to confirm and it's government lab, so, I'm safe and no more tests required.