HIV Prevention Community
Night Sweats

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Night Sweats

Can anyone tell me if Night sweats 5 months after exposure is a sign of HIV? Also sore throat for about 2 months as well?

thanks
I AM NOT AN EXPERT

There are many possible explanations for nights sweats and sore throats.  Too many to go into in depth here.  If you feel that you have previously put yourself at risk 5 months ago, I would suggest that you contact a local doctor or clinic, and get an STD test panel.  You can just get tested for HIV, or you can get tested for a full range of STD's, such as syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, HSV, etc.

Your symptoms could be explained by stress, a cold, a flu, an allergy, or any number of different causes, including an STD.  The only way to know for sure is to get tested, which is free or low costs in most areas in this day and age.

I hope this helps to answer your question.
what was your exposure?
unprotected sex once with a friend who tells me she is clean. This was as i say 5 months ago and symptoms started around 2-3 months ago with a sore throat when swallowing. this is still occuring but last night i woke up in quite a wet bed. This is the first time i have had a night sweat.
Have you ever gotten tested for any STD, ever?
unprotected sex = risk
you have placed your self at risk you need testing after 3month of exposure and you will get conclusive results
night sweats only occur during the ars stage thats 2 to 4 weeks from  exposer,so if u did get exposed to hiv it would of happend in that time frame,and would last up 1 or 2 weeks then your body would be normal after,so you gettn symptoms now are not realated  to hiv,but the only way to kno is get tested,i kno how it feels to have hiv anxiety im still goin threw it and i took a 6 1/2 months hiv test which was negative,so ur in the clear bro but get tested,and try not to be like me when u get your negative and still think you have it,BELIVE YOUR TEST lol
Thanks mate

I am glad my symptoms now are not HIV releated. I am going doctors tonight anyway but glad i can kind of rule hiv out with regards to these specific symptoms.
Night sweat can happen to anyone with HIV at anytime. Night sweats are not a symptom of ARS,

Night sweats are a symptom of ars..(night sweats,fever,swolllen lymph nodes,rash,diariehea,vomiting,etc look teak im jus going by what my doc said and me doing research and diging up information, what my doc said was when a person is going threw ars they would have a high fever,which would make a person have night sweats,but they wouldnt jus be a lil damp,it would be to the point where they would have to change there sheets, and he said after ars the person may not have any symptoms from 1 year to 10 years, im no hiv expert all i kno is what my doc told me,what you guys tell me,and the info from me surfin the web,in fact i still have symptoms myself but im still tryna convince myself that my 6 1/2 month test was accurate and what im goin threw is not related to hiv
See i have not had a fever at all over the past 5 months.

If any Ars symptoms are present am i correct in thinking you always get a fever to acompany it?
Yes you get a fever with ARS, not night sweats. They aren't even remotely the same.
ao you think my symptoms are down to something else?
You can never rely on symptoms to diagnose HIV. You have to test.
thanks Teak,

As i have said i have not had any fever at all. Only last night i woke in quite a sweat but maybe that was due to worry of my doctors appointment which i have later today.
You're welcome.