HIV Prevention Community
Non-intact skin possible exposure with HIV+ friend

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Hi everyone,
I have been reading this forum for days hoping to find some re-assurance on my situation. I am praying you can help me out. A few days ago I bumped into a friend I haven’t seen for a while, kissed and hugged hello and he then proceeded to tell me he had just been diagnosed hiv+. We chatted for a while and then kissed and hugged goodbye and I didn’t really get worried until later. My concern is that I had two pimples that were popped earlier that day (6 hours before) – no blood just watery stuff but skin was obviously broken Although they weren’t bleeding at the time I saw my friend the skin was a little raw and thin., and since he suffers from bad acne as well I have been out of my mind with worry that our “non intact skins” met. I realise there have been so many questions about skin integrity and transmission risk and I have read them all, but many of the answers were “what if” scenarios with the  hiv status unknown. I will really like your opinion on the following. I have been out of my mind with worry and am just paralysed with fear to the extent of not being able to function. Please, please , please can you find some time to answer my questions?
1) Considering that as he has really bad ache as well, is there any possibility our connecting pimples could have been a transmission risk if his were weeping or lightly bleeding? I must admit I didn’t notice any huge amount of blood on his face, but then again I wasn’t looking for it and it was only when I got home and saw the pimples in the mirror that I considered I may have put myself at risk.  
2.) The pimples I pooped earlier in the day – even though  there was no blood, just water,  was the break in the skin enough to give access to the bloodstream six hours later?
3)  If there was a small amount of blood  sitting at the surface of his pimples, is that considered outside the body enough for the virus not to survive and therefore not maintain infectiousness? i.e do I have anything to worry about?

Thank you
You never had a risk.
Thanks so much Teak, for the quick response.(interesting photo by the way...a little scary but I keep looking at it).
Can I ask for a little more information as to why no risk, particularly in light of the questions/concerns I expressed? I suppose I am asking if you can answer those specific questions
I am trying to have a baby so am really out of my mind about this. Thanks ;)
HIV is transmitted by,
Unprotected vaginal or anal sex
Mother to child
Sharing works with other IV drug abusers.
Yes I do appreciate that those constitute the majority of the hiv transmissions and have known that for the last 20 years. However they don't account for ALL transmissions. Blood to blood transmissions have occured, and I just wanted a technical and experienced response as to my situation in that risk area ("non-intact wound" to "non-intact wound").
HIV is unable to reproduce outside its living host (unlike many bacteria or fungi, which may do so under suitable conditions), except under laboratory conditions; therefore, it does not spread or maintain infectiousness outside its host.
Sorry Teak, I have seen that line hundreds of times in the forum responses. If I thought it applied to my situation I wouldnt have asked in the first place.  Please....so does it apply to my encounter? If my friend had blood on the tip of his pimples, is it considered outside the body? and would it survive long enough to be infectious. Thanks  
Then I suggest you move on.
You didn't have a Risk, what are u not understanding?
Hey, I'm really sorry if I somehow overstepped some line to get such responses. I absolutely  respect the work that you are guys are doing for people on this board, I fully get that you are not getting paid and are doing it just to help people like me out....and sometimes our fear may make us appear a little desperate.  
Healthadvisory, I guess I just wanted exactly what you said - that there was no risk with a little explanation to my specifics that's all.
I fully appreciate if I cant get that here and am "moving on"  I am sorry once more. My intention in coming here was for help, not to aggravate anyone.