HIV Prevention Community
Nucleic Acid Amplification Testing (NAAT)

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

What's up guys and gals. I had a question about NAAT, which a lot of people haven't heard of and was hoping someone in this forum has. When I went to get tested at a local free clinic at 12 weeks (84 days), they told me they would test for antibodies and the virus using a NAAT. ALL the nurses that I spoke with at the clinic know NOTHING about HIV it seems like. I asked them whether they test for HIV 1 AND 2, and they asked me what HIV-2 was. The last person I spoke with told me they use NAAT to test for antibodies and the virus. I'm assuming they use an antibody test to check antibodies, and they use NAAT to check for the actual virus itself, b/c they said an NAAT is conclusive at one month after exposure. For the NAAT, they told me that they will send the blood specimen to NY, and I remember them taking two viles of blood. ANyways, to make a long story short, my results came undected. I asked them if they usually give two answers, since they're doing both antibody and NAAT, but they said they give one answer. I can't seem to get any answers from the clinic over there. I don't know how they even operate when none of their nurses know too much about the virus. Should I feel pretty confident with my test results? Does anyone else have any advice they can give me? I live in a MAJOR city in the United States. Thanks.
Avatar n tn
I'm sure they would tell you if you had hiv 1 or 2.  I don't know why you are stressing.  I just go for a test and all I need to hear is that I'm negative.  No questions asked.  I'm certain that if something came back positive, they would let you know.  It's unethical for them not to, especially if they had suspician to believe otherwise.  Congrads, you can move on with your life!
Avatar n tn
Does a google search get anything?  I can't imagine these sorts of clinics, which usually have MD's in some sort of oversight board, would use anything but reasonably modern tests.  
Yes, clearly many of the nurses/staff in health care have not had proper HIV education.  I once had a nurse at the local hospital, one with a considerable STD department, tell me she has never heard of Primary HIV / ARS symptoms, that I shouldn't worry about a rash because they don't show up until years after infecting HIV.
However, regardless, do you guy think I should be confident about my 12 week negative test? Thanks
Avatar n tn
yeah I would try a google search as well.  It is truly amazing how poorly educated some of the nurses are regarding these tests. As if people aren't nervous and anxious enough going through all of this stuff then to mention the inconsistencies of information on tests, window periods, symptoms, etc.  Why don't you post your question to DR. HHH or Dr. BOb if you can't find any reliable information about naat.  I apologize I am not more famaliar with the test. Hang in there and goodluck!
Avatar n tn
Ditto to the above statement.
Avatar n tn
12 weeks negative is conclusive.  You do not have HIV.