HIV Prevention Community
Open Cut Exposed to Semen

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Open Cut Exposed to Semen

I realize this is a very small risk, but I recently engaged in sexual activity with a straight male who said he had been tested recently and was fine. We used condoms for vaginal intercourse and didn't engage in oral, but he came on my back later that evening. I cut myself shaving around 10 pm, a small cut on my bikini line that bled briefly and then stopped. I put neosporin on it but it became puffy during sex (not bleeding - just irritated skin) and I'm not quite sure the cut has created a sufficient scab or barrier because of the irritation during sex. I believe some semen dripped down my side onto the cut. I wiped some of it away. I then washed it 30 minutes after sex but am still paranoid about exposure. If he was positive, what would the risk be for a potentially open, recent (but small) cut?
You used a condom for sex, you did not have a risk. Cuts are not a risk.