HIV Prevention Community
Open Wounds

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Open Wounds

Im new to this site and have read a few enteries.  Just wanted to thank everyone for there time on the site.  Im sure you guys had helped ease alot of minds!

Here's my question.  I was in the bathroom at a local college.  I went to wash my hands and used my wrist to pump out the soap.  After I noticed a cut on my wrist that had a bit of a scab on it(looked like a scrape).  My question is say by chance there was menstrual blood on the soap dispenser from the person before me could the cut and menstrual blood cause the transmission of hiv??  What exactly is open wound contact??  would the wound have to be bleeding still?/  or would the small scab be a barrier??  and how long would HIV blood survive on the soap dispenser??

Thanks you very much for you help!
hiv is not transmitted from environmental surfaces...period.

hiv IS transmitted through...
unprotected vaginal/anal intercourse
sharing iv drug works
mother to child

you do NOT have a hiv concern.
Avatar n tn
Thanks for your answer.  Can you explain to me what an open wound contact is ??  Im just wondering and cant seem to find an answer anywhere!  

Open wound contact for the most part is a myth. You need a large active bleeding wound and con into contact with another large activly bleeding wound for a possible risk. And the wound would be large enough where you would be getting medical attention not doing something else.
is it happened the same if sperm or vaginal fluids come into contact with bleeding wound.......?

with your words , if someone looks his penis and there is no wound after a sex contact , he can know if he contract hiv
You never know if you contract HIV, but if you used a condom then it is no risk.

Yes it is the same for any fluids. You need an active open large cut and a lot of fluid.
"with your words , if someone looks his penis and there is no wound after a sex contact , he can know if he contract hiv"

That is not what Vance and Lizzie said. During an act of unprotected vaginal/anal sex, an open wound is not necessary for the virus to be transmitted. Mucous membranes provide an efficient route for the virus to infect, since the virus has not left the confines of the two bodies.

Vance and Lizzie are talking about situations in which the virus-carrying body fluids have left the body. The environment, in this case, will have rendered the virus unable to infect in a very short amount of time. Further, the body's natural healing process begins to create a protective barrier immediately after one sustains a cut. This makes the possibility of contracting the virus from such contact unrealistic.
thanks you,
when you say mucous membrane  , for a man is the head(glans (glands))and perhaps the inside of the foreskin of the penis ,right?
and for the woman , i suppose , the vagina