HIV Prevention Community
Oral Sex. Delay testing

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Oral Sex. Delay testing

I had an unprotected oral sex 1 month ago with a guy. I didn't know if he is postive or not with HIV. I was the one doing the sucking. He ejaculated in my mouth and I swallow some of his semen. Before I'm not aware that swallowing semen is risky. Only after doing some research on the internet did I find out that it is possible for HIV transmission. My question is do I need to take an HIV test? How many months do I need to wait so that I can have a test? Is is possible to delay testing? Right now I'm experiencing cough and phlegm and I've notices some rushes on my skin, I experince also muscle twitches and pain. I lost a lot of weight and cannot sleep well. Sometimes I experience also nose bleed. I'm afraid that these are symptoms of HIV. My problem Is it is difficult to have an HIv testing here because I'm in Saudi Arabia and Homosexuals here are discriminated maybe I will be put to jail for having oral sex.
Oral sex is not a risk of HIV transmission.
Your research was wrong.HIV is not transmitted via oral sex under any circumstance.You don't require testing and your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV.I would forget all about this incident and it wouldn't be a bad idea if you learned the modes of HIV transmission so you won't continue to stress for nothing.
FROM THE HIV EXPERTS HERE AT MEDHELP:

"As you know from other posts about oral sex, our stance is that giving or receiving oral sex is not a risk for HIV.  Some others suggest that there is an appreciable risk of HIV from oral sex however, there are no convincing scientific reports which support these statements.  The presence of a burn in your mouth, or a sore, or ingestion of blood does not change this.  Still no risk an no reason for testing."  DR HOOK

"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow"  DR HOOK

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex.  The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way.  Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk".  There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANDSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex.  Please educate yourself about the real risks.  If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. "   DR HANDSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..."   DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?  
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

The observation on thousand and thousand of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort).  DR. HOOK

"With regard to the question you ask, I will repeat, as I’ve said more times than I can think- there are NO credible cases in which persons have acquired HIV through performance of oral sex- none!!.  The chance that you will be the first is ridiculously low.  You are more likely to be hit by lightening while reading my reply to you. DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." DR HOOK

"There is no credible evidence that HIV is spread through oral sex, with or without the presence of cuts or blood in the persons mouth."- DR HOOK

"Oral sex. there is no evidence that HIV is spread through giving or receiving oral sex"- DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread through oral sex."  DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread through giving or receiving oral sex"   DR HOOK
But I read this on other forum. This is based from the experience of a person saying he contacted HIV through oral sex. I'm re posting his comment in the forum....  here it is.... that's why I become worried... But I will trust your advice not to get tested. because I'm afraid to be put to  jail here in Saudi.

Hello everyone,

To be honest I cannot believe I am writing this as I recently tested positive Nov. 3rd 2010.  I am still kind of at a loss for words.  I know you guys will not believe this but I never had intercourse without a condom.  So maybe you can help me out, listen, or allow me to free associate. Somehow this place already feels like home, so thank you guys for just contributing because it has provided me with the thoughts of Im not alone-UNFORTUNATELY...

I recently came out in May and began living life finally;  Dating and eventually taking it to the next level. I was so happy...

I was dating an individual and after our second date on 6/20 we messed around.  I apologize if this gets too detailed but I am still wrapping around as to how I got this virus.  As we were kissing in bed naked his penis grazed my anus, but literally for a second.  That was after mutual oral was exchanged, but we never had intercourse and I wouldnt even dare to because we both lacked a condom.  I realized after our date and a few conversations after that he wasn't the right dude for me, although cute and nice...

One month later I was hanging out with two other individuals, the weekend of 7/25.  With one we exchanged mutual oral, some grinding and that was it no penetration.  With the other I received oral and was the top and used a condom.  

4 weeks exactly, the week of 8/25 I began to get symptoms of the flu and when I got a rash I decided to go to the doctor. They checked me out and screened for HIV.  The ELISA came back reactive but the WB came back negative.  The doctor said due to my non risk activity as I told him EVERYTHING, not too worry, and that it was most likely a regular reaction to an infection.  However my OCD kicked in and I went back three months later to double check and unfortunately it came back positive.  The doctor was shocked. My VL was 59K and my CD4 was 228 CD4% was 25%.  I immediately went on Atripla and can now say that 2 weeks after it was 752 and then 3 months after it was Undetectable with a CD4 of 439 and CD4% of 41%  

This forum has been a tremendous help.  Yet, I still cannot narrow it down to how or whom I got it from.  What is more likely the cause? The graze 9 weeks before ARS or the mutual oral?  or a condom malfunction? 4 weeks after.  I dont talk to either three as nothing serious came of it but I informed all three through an anonymous CDC hotline to get tested.  I just want to maintain my privacy.  I know a month doesnt make a difference in starting treatment but the shame and guilt I have is overwhelming.  All I did was live, do whatever everyone else was doing and took the proper precautions.  If I knew about PEP, maybe i would have freaked out when his penis hit my hole for one secnd, with no cum or precum by theway, and wasn't inserted either.  But being new to the gay scene I had no clue something like that existed.  But would ARS symptoms arise at 9 weeks?  doesnt it seem more logical that I got it from the other two.  The doc says although rare it could have been from oral and I was just unlucky.  

I'm hurting so bad because I was always taught never to engage in sex wihtout a condom, and I never did.  At least not anally.  I remember one day talkling to my friend about hooking up and dating and he said well when I date someone we use condoms then after 3 months if it gets serious we will get tested and not use condoms if we were in a monogamous relationship.  I replied I dont care if I'm monogamous or not for 5 years, I will always use a condom because I have heard stories about cheating boyfreinds etc.  I am not judging anyone for having unprotected sex just that was never my MO.  Maybe becaus eI never had it I didn't know what skin on skin feels like and what I was deprived of lol...But I guess I am just tryong to play detective.  Does a month really make a difference if I started therapy 3 or 4 months after infection?  

I know the point is that it happened, and I need to accept it.  I am now positive and most importantly I am on medicine and its working.  WORKING WELL! But I hate to think I was promiscuous or did something wrong and yet I still blame myself and cant forgive myself.  I wish I could turn back the hands of time but then I would still be afraid of experiencing life and sexuality.  I mean is a blowjob so wrong.?

I have so many str8 friends who **** chicks and never use protection and here I am the third dude I meet and finally decide to have sex my world gets turned upside down..

Does this pain ever go away?  I read the blog, Joe Gallant, poz, the forums, thebody, everyday hopeing that all of sudden its gonna change and there is a cure.  The reality is my life will never be the same and I dont know how to cope anymore.  SOme days are betterthan others and some days I feel like I just dont want to live. After finding the news I switched to a specialist and he is the best HIV specialist in FLorida and says Im gonna live a long time. I take my medicine religiously in the morning, a mulitvitamin, fish oil. ubiquinol coQ10, a citirical for my bones and extra vitamin D.  I know I have arrested this bug but the thought of now being postivie has took a toll.  I see a therapist once a week, who has helped.  I tried OCD/Antidepressant medicine for 3 weeks but it cause insomnia or added to it which is why I switched my Atripla in the mornign....Anyway just wanted to share my story and hope that eveyrone on here is doing well.  I will be posting now mor eoften that I have finally got a login...Just hoping that soon it becomes an afterthought and I can have a 100% happy day!  You guys are, well we are SURVIVORS, and the hope for a cure cannot die...I know I am lucky its 2011 and medicine only gets better but still this hard to swallow...
nice to meet you...i'm the queen of england ! ! !

POINT?

anyone can claim anything they want...doesnt mean its fact
And I'm your Irish Uncle.Just like the bali tattoo story.He had a sexual or iv drug sharing exposure and blamed it on the good old tattoo parlor to save face.
So you are really sure that I'm not at risk? I'm very worried a couple of weeks already. It affects my life terribly. Maybe if I'm not in Saudi I already had a test just to calm my mind. But I will really trust your advice. Because I'm tired of thinking about it. Honestly that is my first sexual experience. I never had sex my entire life except for that oral sex. Because I grew up in a very conservative family. I just did it out of curiosity. So your advice is not to get testing?
You don't require HIV testing.Accept the facts and you will be ok.Trust us and the expert doctors when we tell you that oral sex is no risk.
Thank you for all your advice. I really hope I can have a peace of mind.
You can,you just have to believe the facts.
Hi again. I read this on your forum. It is the answer of Dr. Jose about oral sex. Again I'm confused because you are telling that there is no risk from performing an oral sex. but the answer of Dr. Jose is different. here it is...

Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.
First of all, I would like to reassure you.  I do not believe that you have put yourself at risk of HIV infection in any of these sexual encounters.  Genital rubbing without penetration does not pose any risk of HIV infection, and the same would apply to receiving oral sex.  The risk of HIV infection is for the person performing the oral sex, and not for the one receiving it.  And all of this would apply even if you had a red dot on your penis.  Penetration with a condom is certainly safe.  However you might have put yourself at risk of other STDs, which are much more common and much easier to transmit, i.e. Chlamydia, Gonorrhoea and even Syphilis.  Therefore I would advise you to get tested for these.
In summary, i am sure that you do not have HIV and that your test is going to be negative.  A negative antibody test after 12 weeks is final and fully conclusive.  Alternatively you could always have a 4th generation test (called Duo or Combo) testing for the p24 antigen as well, anytime now.  That test would be fully conclusive now covering all encounters, and that way you would not need to wait that long to have peace of mind.
Best wishes,
Dr José

He is telling that The risk of HIV infection is for the person performing the oral sex, and not for the one receiving it. I'm scared again because during my oral sex experience I swallowed the semen of the guy after he ejaculated. Please explain to me why there are conflicting views regarding oral sex?
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusively negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusively negative results or a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria established by MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
I'm just asking it because I'm getting confused with the answers here. The doctor's answer is different from yours. That's why I just want to make sure that I'm not really at risk.
Did you even read the quotes that Lizzie Lou provided for you ALSO from the doctors here at MH?  Read them again:

FROM THE HIV EXPERTS HERE AT MEDHELP:

DR. HANDSFIELD

I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

"HIV is not spread through giving or receiving oral sex"   DR HOOK .
I"ve read it but sometimes confused by what other doctors are saying. I hope I can have peace of mind. I really really want to get a test. I'm just afraid to do it, because what I did was a homosexual act and it is punishable by law here in Saudi. That's why I cannot go to Hospital. Afraid that they might report me to the authorities. But with your assurance it lessen my worries. i hope i can move on with my life now.
Don't waste your time testing for a zero risk situation.You have been provided with all the facts,it's just time to accept them.
Thank you
You're welcome.
I'm becoming worried again. I've noticed that I have  a mouth sore on the right side inside my mouth. Is this just a coincidence? It's been a long time since I had that one I think years already But why only now again?. It's very painful now. I still cannot move on with my worries. I want to take a test but afraid because of the law here in Saudi about homosexuals. I think I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown. I really don't know what to do. I cannot also discuss this to my parents because they are also conservative.
I'm really sorry but I cannot make my self free of worries. Why is it only now for a long time I had this mouth ulcer? Do you think I still don't need to be tested for HIV? later I will go to a dentist for him to check this. But with regards to testing I'm afraid to do it because I'm here in Saudi, were Homosexual activity is punishable by law. I'm afraid that they might report me to "mutawas" and have me arrested. That is my big problem for a month now.I cannot free myself of worries because of what is happening in my body. Last week I also had diarrhea. I'm really afraid.
Take it to the Anxiety Forum, you don't have an HIV concern.
I'm sorry again. I went already to the dentist he gave me rotavex solution for my mouth sore and also an avodyl plus mouthwash. I didn't tell him about my oral sex experience one month ago. But still very worried, becuse I've read in this forum that sometimes other symptoms are sometimes years to detect. or sometimes it doesn't show. I really really want to get a test. I want to get a test I cannot have peace of mind. but need to wait for my vacation in other country to have a test there but that would be january of next year. Is it fine to delay testing. What if my saliva doesn't have enough proteins and enzimes? Is it possible for saliva not to have enough enzimes or proteins to inhibit HIV infection? Please I need answer and please don't ban me on this forum please...
This is not a psychologicaly counselling service.  We've already given you your risk assessment, which was you had NO risk.  WE have nothing more to add.

Seek some preofessional help for your anxiety.  This is an HIV specific forum.

There is a great group here for individuals suffering from HIV anxiety.  I'll find the link for you.  There is nothing more WE can tell you here.  Time to move on.
Check out these links...any further posting should be done in that group, not here.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/HIV-Anxiety-Support/show/595

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/HIV/HIV-ANXIETY/show/18?cid=68
Taking a test for a zero risk situation will just fuel your OCD.You will then start testing for every little thing that happens in the future.I would walk away and forget all about this.That's my advice to you.
I'm just cannot have peace of mind unless I'm tested. Is there any HIV test kit that i can buy on a pharmacy which is also can have reliable results? I will try to buy one although I'm not sure if it is available here in Saudi or they sell it without recommendation from the doctor. I will try but afraid because there law here about homosexuals are very strict. here in our place You cannot just purchase medicine here without doctors prescription.

Spend your money on therapy, not HIV testing.  Anxiety is your problem, not HIV.
if you have phlegm on your throat during oral sex and you swallowed the semen, does it increase your risk for HIV? because I remember that when I had oral sex I have phlegm. I'm afraid if in case there is a virus will mix with my Phlegm and give more risk for HIV.
What part of " YOU DID NOT HAVE AN EXPOSURE" is it, you can't comprehend?
does the virus automatically killed once mixed with the saliva? what if there is bleeding inside the throat and you do not know? because sometimes when I swallow something I can taste blood in my throat.
No risk.
still no need of testing? even when there is bleeding in the throat?
kindly move along...nothing else to tell you that hasn't been said REPEATEDLY
A guy comes here saying he received semen in his mouth from a partner of unknown HIV status, yet you tell him "there's NO risk". How can someone make such a categoric remark?

It's interesting how most people in these forums stick to the CDC's 3 month testing window, yet they don't stick to the CDC's advice regarding oral sex and HIV risk: "Oral Sex Is Not Risk Free"

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/oralsex.htm

It's better err on the side of caution, isn't? I mean, is not like this guy cames here with a non-risk situation (kissing, handjob, etc.)
No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update
J Campo1, MA Perea1, J del Romero2, J Cano1, V Hernando2, A Bascones1
Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219–228

AIDS: Volume 16(17) 22 November 2002 pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan
Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117
Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.
I will follow your advice not to test because as of now I'm still not ready and very much afraid. But one last question. What if the person has a high viral load, does the saliva can be effective to kill the virus?