HIV Prevention Community
Oral Sex without Protection

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Oral Sex without Protection

Hi Doctor,

My story goes like this, 9th July that I had sex with a prostitute with condom on.
Whereas she gave me a head job without condom for around 1 minute.

Since then I didn't feel anything until 21st July that I felt a common cold like symptoms that I had a fever and night sweat issue.
I visited 2 doctors on 22nd and 24th July and they gave me paracetamol so my temperature went back to normal.
However on 29th July that I finished the med that they gave me and my fever came back again.

This time i went to hospital and my lymph was obviously swollen that doctor said my gum is inflamed so it caused my neck pain also fever.
Since then they gave me 9 days of antibiotics that I finished the whole course where around 1st August then my fever finally stopped and my night sweat not happening.

I was so worried about getting HIV so i went to to a quick antibody test on 13th August which is 35 days after my exposure and the result was negative.
But since the 11th August that my body was so itchy and until still i got a few bug-bite like spots on my body and arms here and there and they are itchy.

I wonder if this is conclusive result or I need to do another test again?
Also I would like to know from your experience that am I highly in risk of having HIV?

Thanks again for your help.
you don't need another test...you didn't need any tests...you had NO risk
Hi There,

So indeed oral sex would not cause me the symptoms at all?

I really cannot relax myself til now and I guess your answer got me some kind of relief.

Thanks again.
Insertive oral sex carries an almost unexistent risk for HIV, IF NOT ZERO!!. Your symthomps are not related to hiv. Keep using condoms for penetrative sex and you'll avoid an hiv infections if used correctly and consistently.
FROM THE HIV EXPERTS HERE AT MEDHELP:

"As you know from other posts about oral sex, our stance is that giving or receiving oral sex is not a risk for HIV.  Some others suggest that there is an appreciable risk of HIV from oral sex however, there are no convincing scientific reports which support these statements.  The presence of a burn in your mouth, or a sore, or ingestion of blood does not change this.  Still no risk an no reason for testing."  DR HOOK

"As far as HIV is concerned, there is no known risk of getting HIV from performing oral sex on an infected partner, even if that person's genital secretions get into your eyes or if you swallow"  DR HOOK

There is no debate (among experts) about the HIV risks associated with oral sex.  The risk is so low that almost nobody who cares for HIV infected patients has ever had a patient believed to have been infected that way.  Among experts, it's a semantic issue about using terms like "no risk" and "very low risk".  There is no difference between my or Dr. Hook's use of "low risk" and other experts' "no risk".
DR. HANDSFIELD

"And oral sex is basically safe sex -- completely safe with respect to HIV and although not zero risk for other STDs, the chance of infection is far lower than for unprotected vaginal or anal sex.  Please educate yourself about the real risks.  If you stick with oral sex and condom-protected vaginal or anal sex, you have no HIV worries and very little worry about other STDs. "   DR HANDSFIELD

"I am sure you can find lots of people who belive that HIV is transmitted by oral sex, but you will not find scientific data to support this unrealistic concern..."   DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by touching, masturbation, oral sex or condom protected sex."- DR. HOOK

in the public HIV Prevention forum of MedHelp, TEAK and the other moderators maintain that oral sex in all forms is a zero risk activity. Would you agree with this assessment?  
I TOTALLY AGREE / DR GARCIA

The observation on thousand and thousand of observations is that HIV is not spread by oral sex (of any sort).  DR. HOOK

"With regard to the question you ask, I will repeat, as I’ve said more times than I can think- there are NO credible cases in which persons have acquired HIV through performance of oral sex- none!!.  The chance that you will be the first is ridiculously low.  You are more likely to be hit by lightening while reading my reply to you. DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread by masturbation, through oral sex, through kissing or other casual contact." DR HOOK

"There is no credible evidence that HIV is spread through oral sex, with or without the presence of cuts or blood in the persons mouth."- DR HOOK

"Oral sex. there is no evidence that HIV is spread through giving or receiving oral sex"- DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread through oral sex."  DR HOOK

"HIV is not spread through giving or receiving oral sex"   DR HOOK
It's not almost, it's not a risk at all.
I am saying if not zero.
Oral sex is not a risk for hiv!

You dont have an hiv concern!

Good luck!

USE CONDOMS for penetrative sex and you will remain hiv negative!!!!
Thanks again, whereas my fever was quite severe and thats why I had this concern raised and my body still got a bit of rash here and there.

It is obviously that I will re-test again after 12 weeks to ensure the result can exclude hiv anyways.

It is a relief to have the statement you quoted by doctors also the comments from everyone here for me to believe I am fine and it is just coincidence to have the "symptoms" happened to me.