HIV Prevention Community
Oral sex: no risk vs. low risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Oral sex: no risk vs. low risk

If the doctors on this forum are saying oral sex is LOW RISK, how can normal members of this forum get away with saying that it's no risk?  Essentially, they are telling us we can have as much oral sex as we like with people who are HIV positive.  This is dangerous!  Just because there are no "documented" cases doesn't mean that oral HIV transmission hasn't actually occurred.  There are no "sex police" in the bedroom to determine if couples are strictly having oral sex, which is why HIV transmission is NEVER attributed to this act.  If you test positive after only having oral sex for a few years, who the hell is going to believe that you haven't been having unprotected anal/vaginal intercourse?  I understand that saliva has over a dozen enzymes and proteins that deactivate the HIV virus, but even with this knowledge, the very doctors of THIS SITE agree that the risk is still around 1 in 10,000.  Yes, that is a very low risk, but it's not no risk.  Eventually somebody will contract it this way.  For anybody who has been spreading the knowledge that HIV is "no risk," please explain yourself, I am very curious to how you arrived at this conclusion.

I'd like to see a response to this post that doesn't involve the phrase "MOVE ON" or the excessive post warning.  I'm not doing this to be a *****, I'm doing this to protect people.
*this post is concerning insertive oral sex.  As in, the risk for the person giving the *******.
There has never been anyone contract HIV from oral sex and had you read the Drs Forum you would have read NEITHER have seen anyone contract HIV from oral sex in their 30 years of practice and you would have also read that most experts say zero risk.
Because there have been studies with serodiscordant couples involving thousands of acts of oral sex resulting in no transmissions.

Doctors on this site believe the 1 in 10000 statistic is too high.
Teak, yes I in fact read this in the doctor's forum, yet never the less, DESPITE HIM NOT SEEING ANY ORAL TRANSMISSIONS, he still says there is a low risk.

Joggen, how can you do a study on that?  By finding thousands of serodiscordant couples and asking them if they practiced oral sex?  That would only be looking for the lucky ones.  In order to have a true study on this, they would have to start with serodiscordant couples.  I couldn't find a single study online like that.  Couldn't find ONE that supported your claim, but a few that supported mine, including this one http://www.natap.org/2003/oct/100903_5.htm
* Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to action by MedHelp. Conclusive negative results or a no-risk situation will be based up the criteria MedHelp’s doctors. Action will be taken as follows:
    * After excessive posting, a warning will be issued by MedHelp
    * Continuing to post regarding the negative result / no risk situation will result in a 3 day suspension
    * Continuing to post upon your return will result in a permanent ban.
http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/2AF5DF5C-ECEF-4854-80BA-09F86B483A02.asp

In total almost 19,000 instances of unprotected oral sex were estimated to have occurred involving the 135 couples over the ten years of the study, but not a single case of HIV transmission was detected. The study authors conclude that: “this seems to point to a very low probability of HIV transmission related to this practice.”
Since "a no-risk situation will be based upon the criteria of MedHelp's doctors," I'm sure I won't get banned.  Teak, go ahead and tell people that oral sex is no risk, but this is your opinion so you should state it as such.
Wrong and move on. It's not my opinion it is FACT.
Thank you for posting that study, I think it's evidence that a lot of people on this forum can turn to to answer their questions or ease their mind.  It just highlights how low-risk oral sex really is.
http://www.sfcityclinic.org/drk/oralsex4.asp
all of this points to the fact that
"oral sex appears to be..."
"oral sex most likely is..."
"oral sex sems to be..."
NOT "is..."

"...no risk."

And trust me, I really hope it is no risk.  I, and many other people, hope you are right, Teak.  My friend has been swallowing his poz BF's stuff for years and is still neg.
It is impossible to prove a negative but all the available evidence indicates it is safe. For practical purposes it is zero risk.
At the very least, we can settle on the fact that the acidity and enzymes of saliva deactivate HIV, and saliva coats every microscopic nook and cranny of your mouth.  Take what you want from that.
ok i had oral sex a month ago and now iam having all these symptoms that are worring me like feaver, tiredness, headache, and iam really worried, cause i tested 1 week ago and it was negative, but they toled me i have to wait 3 months after the exposure...... so i shouldnt be worried about it.
no!  read the responses on this post.  oral sex carries no risk.  none.