HIV Prevention Community
Oral sex with HIV +

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Oral sex with HIV +

I received an unprotected oral sex after a night of heavy drinking. Found out the next morning he is HIV+ and not on medication. A couple weeks ago I had painful and achy arm pits. yesterday have swollen lymph node in my neck and 2 sores on the back of my throat. I have never had a fever, yet. I have read that you and the experts say this is no risk, but what if they have a ridiculously high viral load? I feel like if it was truly no risk, the CDC and other reputable institutions would label it as just that, no risk. I plan on getting a test at 8 weeks, but can't shake the feeling these are HIV related and that I will be the first person to get HIV from a BJ. Thanks for your help!
Viral load makes no difference, saliva is not infectious. It actually has properties that break down the virus and renders it inactive and unable to infect.

If you are the 1st person then get ready to be the study of thousands of people because in 30+ years no one has gotten HIV from receiving oral sex.
Thanks for the reassurance. It makes me feel much better. I am worried because I am currently in my residency and am operating on patients daily. I feel like I should stop while I wait for results, but too embarrassed to talk to my director.

Should also add that this happened 5 weeks ago.
Don't you think there could be cases out there that weren't reported? Also does it make a difference that the person who performed the fellatio claimed to be infected by performing oral sex on someone else? Could his mouth somehow not neutralize the virus?
As I wrote above. saliva is not infectious. It actually has properties that break down the virus and renders it inactive and unable to infect.
Does anyone else have a different opinion? Are my patients safe?
We all have the same opinion when it comes to oral sex.
So everyone on this forum agree that receiving oral sex carries ZERO (and I mean zero, impossible, stake your career on it) risk for transmission of HIV? I am not trained in infectious disease, but I find that very hard to believe. My anxiety is probably getting the best of me, but I can't help but worry for myself and those that trust me to care for them. I don't know what my next step should be....

Vance, I am not trying to discredit your advice, but would really like to hear from others.