HIV Prevention Community
Oral sex with cut lip? Shingles as a sign of ARS?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I've been worrying over this a lot (like everybody else on this forum), and I recognize that my risk is relatively low, but I'm just trying to get some other feedback on it.

I'm a 19 year old, white male college student at a state university. I had a drunken one-nighter (if you can call it that) with a girl whom I've known as acquaintances for years; this was the first and only time we did anything sexual.

We kissed, I fingered her and performed oral on her, and while I was masturbating (possibly with vaginal fluid on my hands) I did not ejaculate and we did not have sex. I remember her biting my lip hard while we were kissing, and remember a sharp pain. I had a small scab on my lip there and I'm thinking she may have ripped it open.

I had some major stressful events going on around this time and came down with shingles 5 days after the aforementioned possible exposure...could that be a result of exposure to the HIV virus? Or is it too soon after exposure to be a result of it?

As the shingles was healing, I was still feeling strange. After seeing immune deficiencies like HIV as a cause of shingles online, I made the mistake of searching the symptoms online only to learn about ARS. I do not know if the symptoms I proceeded to experience were as a result of the worrying and stressing I did after discovering the link between shingles and HIV, another random unrelated condition, or ARS itself.

Around 3.5 weeks after the incident, I was in direct sunlight at a concert all afternoon and got a sunburn on my nose. I noticed a bumpy rash on my eyesocket, and above my lip. I researched it and saw it may be a sign of ARS (or sun poisoning...but I had put on some sunscreen). Soon after, I was noticeably fatigued for a few days (3-4 days) in a row, felt bad, did not have a high fever (I run around 97.5 normally and the highest I observed at home was 98.7) and have noticed some strange skin changes (increased instances of folliculitis, intermittent skin irritation that would look like a rash and then go away within a day or two at the most) but I could just chalk that up to being more aware of my body since being scared. I got 4 canker sores in my mouth (a lot, but not the first time I've had that many) around week 6; my lymph nodes swelled up under my jaw and became painful but are becoming less swollen now. The lymph nodes in my groin are palpable, but the right side is noticeably larger as it is the side where I got shingles; they are not painful or sore. I weighed myself for the first time since before I came down with shingles and have lost 10 lbs. I don't know if this is from the shingles, anxiety, or is something else.

These past 3 weeks have been all over the place. My analysis of my symptoms is exhausting me. Some days I'm sure I have it; other days I don't think about it and it seems totally improbable. I don't even know if the girl I mentioned has HIV (I know she is a rape victim, however.)

My insurance doesn't cover planned parenthood, and I'm approaching the 7 week mark. Should I save up and take the test at 12 weeks? What's my risk?

I am just another worried, anxious kid. I know this post is total information vomit, but I don't want to leave anything out that could provide help in accurate advice. Thank you so much for any help you can offer.
You never had a risk.
I had all these symptoms too if it comforts you in any way, bubble type rash inside elbow, puffy face, foliculitis (folliculitis). Nobody has ever caught HIV from oral sex and we both had the same symptoms, we can't both have caught it buddy. Read posts on this site, there are lots of guys suffering like us, the same symptoms aswell, but you will never see a post where anybody says actually I was positive, and trust me, I would come back and post furiously if I did test positive after everything I've read. I'm not an expert by the way, I hope the experts don't mind me posting, I just want to try and reassure you
I'm saying I likely had oral sex with an open cut on my lip; there's a risk in that, right?

Could getting shingles 5 days after exposure be a sign of my immune system being compromised by HIV? I'm only 18 years old and while I realized I was stressed, I wonder why I got it then.
There is no risk, the likelihood a girl who doesn't do intravenous drugs has HIV is real low for starters, the stuff you did with/to her can't transmit HIV, and that is a fact