HIV Prevention Community
P24 Antigen Testing?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

P24 Antigen Testing?

Hi all

I got tested for Hiv antibody and P24 antigen ... around 11 days after my exposure....my exposure was Vaginal Sex with a Condom..with a bar pick up girl...I am a male...

My exposure is described in details below...

Hi all

I am a male of 25 from India.

I would like to ask all of u a question and i hope i get a reply as soon as possible....

Well i was in Dubai,UAE for a holiday and i went to a pub and i picked up a girl there...i went to her apartment and we had vaginal intercourse.....I used a condom....NO oral...only Protected vaginal sex....after i "came" i withdrew and i did not notice any condom breakage...as my semen had been collected at the tip (if it was broken it wud have leaked right?)

all this happened around 1st of March 2007...

Now around 8th March i have mild fever around 99.5 degrees.

i had my P24 antigen and hiv 1/2 test on 12th March.
My P24 Antigen and Hiv Antibody 1/2 are both Negative after 11 days...

My doctor says that after 11 days the p24 antigen would have been positive if it had to be Hiv... is it right?
He also said that the p24 antigen testing is done within the first 3 weeks of exposure..as no antibodies are formed by that period.

Now my question is that shud i consider myself safe after the encounter and the testings?

Pls advice..

Can i ask why you got tested? condoms are a efficent protection against HIV and other STD's. Unprotected i can understand but not protected.
You don't have a risk with condoms.
buddy, you were never at a risk protected vaginal sex is safe, no condom breakage or slipage - nothing to worry about, however I think your doctor is not following the right course p24 anti gen & AB test for HIV 1 & 2 (duo) is only done in the third week after exposure but that's okay its immaterial cuz you were never at a risk so relax and for your own peace of mind you could test at the 13 th week, I guarantee your test result would be negative. bindaas jeenka! CHEERS
Mike is this test ok at 8-9weeks?
NO, a duo test is only done on the third week after exposure at 6-8-10 week a standard EIA/ELISA test should be done that'll give an indicative result
I had a DUO Hiv test done for p24 antigen and hiv 1/2 antibodies after 9 weeks. Was negative.

PLEASE PLEASE do not tell me this test is inaccuarate or worthless.

stop panicking and reading between the lines, what I meant here was at 6 to 10 week the ideal test is a standard ELISA however a duo test is for AG as well as ABs it is as good as an ELISA test at the time you tested
YES, thats right. i knew that and thats why i told him about the way it works actually when you look at the first poster i tried to tell him about the right time for an optimum result
Mike, try and be more specific with your advice, while  you eventually did clarify things, your first response was easily misinterpreted.
I know you were trying to be helpful, but even one thoughtless response can drive people up the wall here!

Just be careful in future:)
Cheers Dobber,

Sorry i thought he was saying it doesnt test for the right thing.
But if it covers all aspects then thats good ay!

Sorry you know what its like. Maybe i do need help. Just dont know where to look?
Jamesy
Mike/Dobber
Just to clarify things, Antigen is an early detection test and antibodies is a normal HIV test after 6-8 weeks for 100% detection.

Am i right?

Jamesy
and the reason I said duo test should be done at the third week after the exposure because thats when this test screens for p24 ags and like the name says duo test the counter part i.e ABs are screened like it is screened in any other AB test and could be done any time, so your test was accurate noughogto worry about  :)
Mike,
The Duo test works via the antigen/antibody sandwich, and is accurate on the antigen side of things up to 28 days I believe. As antibodies are formed, the antigens disappear. According to the doc on here, anything past 6 weeks is conclusive.

But someone having an AG/AB combo test is having the right test, no matter when they take it
Dobber: yes, i'd be careful in the future                                          Jamsey: boy, you need to get off the internet ASAP, I apologise i should have been a bit more precise at the first place. Re-assuring you owe more time, your result was conclusive :-)
Jamesey my dear boy,  first of all, calm down!

Secondly, you had protected sex and you were never at risk in the first place. Not even for the blowjob, which is non-risk

Thirdly, and in relation to your question, no testing site would only test for p24 at 9 weeks, the test you had done was a Combo, which tests for both antigens and antibodies, and is therefore probably the most accurate test on the market.

You're home free on the HIV front.
But dude, you really need to get off this site. You've been told repeatedly that you didn't have a risk. Yet you're still clearly in the throes of anxiety. I really recommend you see a counsellor regarding your anxieties, because HIV is not your problem.
I'm not having a go at you, I just think you might need some help to get over this:)
Hi Everyone,

About 8 weeks ago I had sex with a girl.
Today I get my results back and I get a negative results tests HIV on ag p24 and negative third generations tests HIV 1/2 antibodies.
What I want to know is, is there any possibility of "false negative"?
may be tests don