HIV Prevention Community
P24 P17 Indeterminate negative Western Blot

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

I had an indeterminate hiv test which led my doctor to do a western blot test because of my symptoms and swollen lymph nodes. The test showed P24and P17 bands but indicated an indeterminate result with a comment suggesting RNA test. My doctor said he was unsure how to interpret this and has referred me to a infectious disease specialist. I am going crazy and my husband is afraid to touch me which has left me feeling all alone. To my knowledge there has been no infidelity I had surgery with complications 5 months ago and on 2nd surgery they prepped me for a blood transfusion but said they didn't have to do it, I also was given the flu vaccine so I don't know if risks lie there. Anyway I have done a lot of research and believe I am missing one band that would confirm a positive. One question is since P24and p17 is present does that mean I have been exposed to HIV but am not HIV positive? Or, does it mean I will soon develop the third band? It's sorta confusing with indeterminate and need to retest just prolongs my anxiety, I wish there was just yes or no and not maybe also. Any help or encouragement will be appreciated as the specialist has not returned my calls to set the appointment.
Sounds like you have a trust issue with your husband, discuss it with your husband and it still doesn't change that fact that HIV is not transmitted by Cats.
Why would you go in for an HIV test when you never had an exposure?
My husband had cat scratch fever, then I got it. Swollen lymph node and 1st set of antibiotics did not clear it up so I had second set of antibiotics . Then I ended up at ER because I started profusely sweating and vomiting, my blood pressure went way up and I thought I was having a heart attack, I was released and told to follow up with my doctor when I did he saw the results of CT scan of neck where my lymph node was swollen and it showed I had several nodes with fatty strands upon examination by him he found other lymph nodes swollen and did an hiv test along with CBC. Then it came back indeterminate...then what my original post showed happened
What does any of that have to do with HIV? You've never had an exposure.
I have no idea but my doctor seems to think I needed a test that's ok you don't have to answer my question I thought I was coming to this forum to find some answers to my test results feeling more alone now...thank you
Doesn't work that way. We answer questions for people that have had a possible exposure and you haven't and Cat Scratch Fever doesn't qualify for an HIV exposure.
Thanks alot
Ok so what if my husband cheated and told my doctor which is his doctor...point is I have no clue why he tested me and no-one can ever be positive they have not had exposure