PEP and Risk Question
I am a gay male and had a risky (I think) exposure last night.  Another male of unknown status tried to penetrate me without protection or lube.  I am not a receptive partner normally, so therefore it didn't really work and he didn't get very far in at all - perhaps just the head of his penis went in.  It wasn't for very long either as I stopped it from happening.

Of course, now I am a little worried that this was a potential exposure and obviously being the receptive partner there is more risk.  

Should I start a course of PEP (it is now just under 24 hours from exposure), or do you think this wouldn't be necessary based on what happened.

Thank you.
PEP is normally reserved for those who had an exposure with someone who is known hiv +.

you can do a test at 6-8 weeks post exposure for a good indication of your status...but follow up at 3 months for a conclusive result.
Thanks for your reply.  Do you think therefore that I shouldn't worry about this incident?  Obviously I wanted to something right away if it was risky and I have two more days to begin the PEP treatment if it will be a good option for me.  6 weeks is a long time to wait!
Did he penetrate you and is he HIV positive?
I dont know his HIV status.  He didn't penetrate me completely - it was just a little bit inside - I'm not a bottom so am therefore very tight, so I know it didn't go in very far.  
Had he penetrated you, you would have known. nPEP is not recommended.
OK, so even if he had penetrated me a bit, I shouldn't go and get PEP?  I did feel that he was pushing into me, so definitely felt something.  It just wasn't that far in.  
Also, isn't it better to get PEP than discover in 6 weeks that I'm positive?
we cant tell you whether or not you were penetrated.

DO YOU EVEN KNOW THIS GUY?

can you get him tested?  a negative test wont really tell you very much since he could be in the window period...but a positive test will
It was a casual encounter and I don't have any way of contacting him.  Yes I know it was stupid.
Do you live in the US and have insurance?
Yes I do live in the US and have insurance.
Talk with your doctor about his recommendations and then you will have to see if your insurance company will pay for the 900-1200 medications for 28 days or you'll have to pay out of pocket depending on what medication that is recommended.
So I went to the doctor today and I got prescribed Truvada today for 28 days.  He said it was a low to moderate risk, but I thought it would give me more piece of mind.  My insurance seems to cover it - I had to pay a copay, but it wasn't too bad.  I have read that PEP is normally a combination of drugs, so hoping that this one drug is ok.
the drug is ok on it own. it is a good choice u made.
Truvada is a combo drugs not one drug. EMTRIVA® (emtricitabine 200 mg) and VIREAD® (tenofovir disoproxil fumarate 300 mg),
Thanks for clarifying what Truvada is - Jessy30, a nurse I spoke to thought it would be a good choice to take it, which is why I did.  I've done some research online and it does seem that my risk is not a high one, but I'm still struggling with the anxiety of waiting for window period to pass - it seems a long way ahead.
A quick question - if I was to stop taking the PEP medication - I've taken 2 days only so far, that will enable me to have a RNA test which is a good indication of status - and one I had last time I had a risk.  Or is it already too late to stop the PEP.  Thanks.
Discuss it with your doctor.
So I talked to the doctor, and he suggested I stay on nPEP as I am not getting any major side effects.  He stated my risk was low to moderate, and therefore with the nPEP that is bringing my risk chances lower - would you agree with that.

Now I am struggling with anxiety and how to cope with waiting so long for the first time I can get tested.  Are there any support groups on here that I could connect with?  Thanks.
You are also posting on several websites.
Yes I know, just trying to get experienced feedback and support to help me deal with the process.  I hope you appreciate that; it's a tough time.
Take it to the HIV Anxiety Support Group chbolero
So got a new piece of information today, I have gonnorhea. Im getting the medicine for that shortly. As I was infected with this, does it suggest my risk for HIV is higher?
So I finished the course of PEP and decided to take a rapid HIV test at 5 weeks.  This was negative.  I know that 5 weeks is not 6 weeks, but what kind of indication is this negative result?
Hi everyone,

Quick question - I had protected anal sex two and a half weeks ago with a person who said he was negative.  I penetrated him twice, for about a few minutes each, and each time was with a condom, and we put a new condom on for the second time.  As far as I'm aware there was no breakage of the condom.  I just wanted to check that this puts me at a low risk for acquiring HIV.  Thanks.
You didn't have a risk at all.
So I just found out I have genital herpes, which I know means there is a greater risk of contracting HIV. I don't know who I caught if from, but if it was through oral sex with the guy I had protected anal sex with, could he have passed HIV on to me at the same time?
Oral activities including sex never pose HIV risk.
Another question - would early HIV symptoms include soreness in the lymph nodes in the groin, pain in the testicles and urethra?  I've been having these for a while now and it's probably connected to herpes (although was tested negative for that).  I will go and get an HIV test though to be sure.  Thanks.
No. You've never had a risk of contracting HIV from oral sex or protected anal sex.