HIV Prevention Community
Partial Penetration?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Partial Penetration?

Hello

I recently got involved with a guy and one thing led to another and he tried to insert his penis into anus. It was my first time so I freaked out when I felt a sharp pain, ( I could tell he didn't put it in all the way) and his penis stopped going in. ( Probably on the head got into the sphincter muscle). I know I should have had him put on a condom, but that was why when he tried to put his penis in me, it freaked me out because it was not what I was expecting.
He asked me afterwards if I was clean, and swore that he was clean and that he was tested last year. I am still a little nervous and scared that he could give me HIV from his partial penetration. Even though this occured just today, I'm thinking about going to a clinic to get tested. I know its probably not going to work, but anything to calm my mind..... any insights?

Thanks!
Getting any test done right now won't tell you anything so don't waste your money.  Yes you have put yourself at risk because you had unprotected anal sex.  If you really feel that he was a high risk partner, you can go to your local clinic or emergency room and start PEP.  PEP has to be started within 72 hours of ;possible exposure.  If yuo don't want to do that, go for the HIV combo test or the p24 antigen test at 2-3 weeks and that will give you a good indication of your status.  We all make mistakes, but please learn from this one and use condoms at all times with any type of sexual encounter.  Best of luck to you.
From Dr Garcia HIV specialist doctor--here at freedomhealth we consider an RNA by PCR at around 7 days post-exposure 99% & would only suggest a follow up DUO test at 4 weeks if the exposure was high risk.
nPEP is typically reserved for situations where there is a confirmed + partner, and a high risk.  nPEP is not something to take lightly, it is very expensive, comes with NASTY side effects and significant risks of its own.

Getting tested today will only tell you your baseline status, it's useless in terms of your risk.  

You don't require a whole bunch of tests.  If you are anxious, have a DUO at 4 weeks, and follow up with a standard antibody at 3 months.  

You could also test WITH this partner if he his willing.  His status right now won't be confirmative, but it sure will be reassuring.

From now on...INSIST on condoms for all penetrative sex.  NEVER take someone's "word" either.