HIV Prevention Community
Penicillin HIV risk
About This Community:

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Penicillin HIV risk

Teak and anyone,

I imagine this is OCD but would prefer asking nonetheless as I value your advice tremendously. A week ago I went to the ER in the city after experiencing intense pain urinating following masturbation. They said it looked like just a sensitive urethra but gave me two pills and a single shot of penecillin prophylactically, as well as an HIV test (which was negative 6 weeks beyond my last encounter). My concern is, and it hasn't been addressed yet on this forum and may sound like I should go to OCD forum... the nurse brought out a tray with an uncapped, filled syringe and the two pills in a cup. Is it common practice to have the needle prepped and uncapped prior to arriving in the room. I have been unable to concentrate out of fear this syringe was reused in the Emergency Room and that it could have infected me with HIV. Please advise, please.