HIV Prevention Community
Penicillin HIV risk

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Penicillin HIV risk

Teak and anyone,

I imagine this is OCD but would prefer asking nonetheless as I value your advice tremendously. A week ago I went to the ER in the city after experiencing intense pain urinating following masturbation. They said it looked like just a sensitive urethra but gave me two pills and a single shot of penecillin prophylactically, as well as an HIV test (which was negative 6 weeks beyond my last encounter). My concern is, and it hasn't been addressed yet on this forum and may sound like I should go to OCD forum... the nurse brought out a tray with an uncapped, filled syringe and the two pills in a cup. Is it common practice to have the needle prepped and uncapped prior to arriving in the room. I have been unable to concentrate out of fear this syringe was reused in the Emergency Room and that it could have infected me with HIV. Please advise, please.
This is an issue for a therapist, not an HIV risk.
Avatar n tn
Thanks Vance. Its tough living with this tremendous fear, and then I feel worse to be taking up time and complaining when there are much higher risk health issues on this forum. At the same time, I simply can't shake the idea that the needle was reused on accident in the confusion of an emergency room setting. Thanks for not patronizing me, what feels like an unrealistic concern feels so real on this end.