HIV Prevention Community
Penis not fully covered by condom: risk for a female

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I recently had sex with a man (I am a woman). He has a rather large penis and it was very difficult to put the condoms on (too tight/small for him). He mostly left me in charge, and doing this is not my forte. I was never sure whether it went the right way down - the condom would only roll down half way and then I or he had to use my/his fingers to lift the base and pull it further down. We went through a few condoms like that (we had intercourse a few times). Once the bottom of the condom tore form the pulling but it was so firmly in place and tight that we proceeded anyway... Stupid, I know, but I kept checking and at the end of every "session" the condom was intact, although half-way up, but the tip of the penis was always covered. At some point the condom did break but that was a few moments after he withdrew.

What are my risk as a woman for HIV and other STIs based on the above use of condoms...? I suppose it would be obvious if one of the condoms had failed completely (i.e. the head would stick out with bits of condom dangling around it?). If the condom was inside out then it would have been impossible to roll it down at all - right?

Thank you for your advice on this.
Anyone, please??
Hi, you had no risk for contacting hiv.

You had no risk. Sounds like the tip of his penis was always covered (the source of any secretions carrying HIV). And yes, condom breaks are very noticeable and apparent.
Thank you both! I wish I were the one wearing the condom so I would also know for sure ;)
I meant "always know for sure"...
as long as the head of "mr willie" was covered, you were protected.