HIV Prevention Community
Philippines, Prostitute, Unprotected intercourse

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Last week I was very foolish whilst on holiday in the Philippines and had unprotected sex with a prostitute.  We carried out oral sex and just before coming we had intercourse which lasted for 1-2 minutes. I had no cut’s or open areas of skin on my penis and she was healthy with no visible signs of STD’s.  I know they get examined for STD's on a regular basis, not sure about blood tests.

Since the incident I have been very stressed, sleeping little and not eating a great deal.  I have been to a GP who has commented that the risk is relatively low, but I should get a test within 1-3months of the incident.  I have had no signs of STD’s, a slight burning on the end of my penis, but I am sure it is psychological more than physical. Passing urine causes no pain and there are no worts or other blemishes. The GP has recommend not carrying out any tests unless there are physical signs of STD.

The Philippines is relatively low risk from the research I have done, but playing the waiting game for the next 3-4 weeks before getting testing is driving me crazy.  

What is my potential risk and how soon should I go for a HIV test?  If you get no STD’s does this reduce the risk of HIV infections?
Hi there,

If you have unprotected sexual intercourse, you are at risk.  You may wish to take a HIV test at 6th week and than again at 12 weeks for a conclusive result. A 6th weeks result is a good indicator and unlikely to change; but it is not conclusive.