HIV Prevention Community
Possible HIV

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Possible HIV

Let me start by saying I know very little about HIV besides what I've read online. I'm a 22 year old male who is bisexual. I started being sexually active around 18 with men and women. With men I mostly performed oral sex, but had anal sex (as a top) on a few occasions. I've worn a condom every time I've had sex except once which only lasted a few moments.

About a year ago in Jan 2011 I had oral sex with a man who seemed healthy. A few days later I came down with flu like symptoms but the worst part was my gums and throat became so sore I could barely eat for a week. I also had fever/chills and swollen lymph nodes under my jaw. The sores quickly spread all over my gums and my tongue. Upon looking online the symptoms are almost identical to gingivostomatitis. About a week of this all symptoms left with no scarring and my lymph nodes went down completely. In april of the same year I noticed a lymph node get sore again. A day or two later I began getting sores on my gumline. These were nothing as severe as the first time, just one or two at a time. They are more annoying than anything and very small. The sores would go away and then reappear in different locations for months. My doctor prescribed me acyclovir which made them go away, but they would usually come back. Over summer I noticed my skin looked a little blotchy and dry on my face. I don't know if the two are related.

Since about summer my tonsils seem to have enlarged and I've been getting throat infections/ sinus infections fairly regularly. These symptoms coincide with moving back in with my parents who have a dusty house and pets which I've always been a little allergic to. Throughout the past year my tonsils have remained larger than normal, and multiple lymph nodes under my jaw and one in my neck have remained swollen. I've read that herpes especially new cases can cause these symptoms. I still get an occasional mouth sore, but the appearances have gotten fewer and fewer as the months go on. I have been stressed out that I have been infected with HIV. I've since had no sex partners and I've put on about 20lbs. I have always been a big guy. I'm 5'10" and weigh 245lbs. Other than these symptoms I've always been a healthy guy.

Right now I've been getting tonsillitis back to back and am about to just get them taken out for good. The past few months I've been getting tonsil stones as well.

I've read that if it is HIV that a year would be a long time to still be showing symptoms. I know it is annoying for me to be posting this without having tested myself, but honestly I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. If I find that I am positive there will be no one to turn to. No one knows that I'm bisexual.

After a year of no sex I still have swollen lymph nodes, dry blotchy red face frequently, enlarged tonsils, sinus problems. I know stress can add to these symptoms, but I wanted to know what people think the chances are after reading this. I understand that nothing anyone says is 100 percent and i need to get tested, but please tell me whatever you can. I am freaking out.
Let me add that I did have a mono test and cbc during the summer and both came back normal.
If your doctor prescribed Acyclovir, it means he was treating herpes, probably HSV-1 (labial).

I got really sick when contracted HSV-1 with HIV like symptoms that last 3 months. I lost 10% of my weight. My symptom resolved after I got the test.

Please, do the test and you will find the support you need. You have to take this step.

Best for you!!!
The ONLY risk you had was the unprotected anal sex, for which you should be tested.  The oral sex you are worried about is not a risk at all.
Thank you for the comments. I've read mixed arguments on whether or not you can contract HIV orally. I did not get any ejaculate in my mouth or even on me during this encounter, but its possible a sore or something else made contact with my mouth. This was the only sexual activity I had for months and the symptoms started days after it. My doctor never actually tested me for herpes, but just prescribed acyclovir after looking in my mouth and me telling her my symptoms. During this time I have not gotten a cold sore only mouth sores. I've read intraoral herpes and HIV are somehow related which scares me quite a bit.
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers