HIV Prevention Community
Possible HIV very concerned

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Possible HIV very concerned

I had protected sex with a HIV positive person within the last 24 hours I don't know if she's on medication or any details beside that. I've been suffering with a loose tooth at the back of my mouth, the area has been bleeding over the last week, if I swill my mouth there is a substantial amount of blood in my saliva. I had open mouth/French kissing for several minutes, I didn't taste any blood at the time, but after swilling my mouth an hour or so later there was blood present. Her mouth to my knowledge had no signs of bleeding gums or any other dental issues. The problem is I have spoken to NHS direct and they have contradicted what I lm reading on the forum, I'm insure if this is to cover themselves?? Is it possible to contract HIV from kissing if there is blood present, I recently tested HIV negative prior to the incident. But I've been informed PEP treatment my be necessary!! All the helplines ive spoken won't commit n put my mind at rest. I understand its theoretically possible to contract or am I being ridiculous but the amount of info online just keeps saying I'm at risk, why would they want to worry people for no reason?? I apologise in advance as I see similar questions have been asked before.
You never had an exposure. You had protected sex and kissing with or without blood is not a risk of contracting HIV.
Thank you for your quick response :-) just needed reassurance as the three UK based helplines just keep making me extremely worried. I just think its wrong that there giving out incorrect information! Thank you Teak I have seen you answered similar queries several times already. Sorry In advance for asking again but even with blood present in both mouths it isn't a risk?? Can you post any medical links I can read just to put my mind at rest as I'm freaking out. Thank You
Saliva contains over a dozen different enzymes and proteins that inhibits HIV transmission.
So if the blood is contained in her saliva it won't be transmitted? What if theoretically her blood came directly in to contact with my open wound? How much saliva is needed to neutralise the virus. Thank you for you assistance :-) I'm sorry to keep seeking re assurance, but don't know where else to turn.
No it won't be transmitted.
Thank you :-) Teak appreciate the assistance.