HIV Prevention Community
Possible to test positive AFTER 6 months

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

I keep having ARS symptoms even after 11 week testing negative (elisa and rna pcr).  I am concerned about reports of seroconversion that can happen even after SIX MONTHS!  Help!

"Rational application of diagnostic assays in the management of healthcare workers (HCWs) following occupational exposure is needed to rule out pre-existing human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, detect HIV infection or seroconversion as early as possible in the small proportion individuals who become infected, and to rule out infection in the high proportion of individuals who remain uninfected following occupational exposure to HIV. An understanding of the time course of viremia and seroconversion following HIV exposure is essential in developing recommendations for management of occupational exposure among HCWs. Several data sources that address the timing and dynamics of HIV viremia and seroconversion following primary infection are reviewed. The implications of each data source for management of occupational exposure among HCWs is assessed. Although the majority of infected HCWs seroconvert within 2 months of exposure, the possibility of delayed seroconversion is well established, with approximately 5% of infected HCWs estimated to seroconvert >6 months after exposure. In contrast, the period of viremia (detectable by p24 antigen or RNA assays) preceding antibody seroconversion is consistently brief (1-3 weeks). Animal inoculation studies indicate that a variable period of localized viral replication in lymphoid tissue draining inoculation sites exists prior to systemic viremia and subsequent seroconversion."

Am J Med. 1997 May 19;102(5B):117-24; discussion 125-6.
Shiblee101,

Impossible data from 1997......

=)
They were still doing RNA PCR and ELISA tests.  Even if it was a first generation antibody test, it still only makes a difference of a few days or weeks.
I do not believe at all (and I work in the medical field) that it is possible to test positive after the 6th month mark (unless there was sexual contact within that time frame). I am a firm believer u will know within ur first month 1/2. Unless u have a serverly compromised immune system......

-Sun  =)
Delayed seroconversion can only happen due to latent infection and that is extremely rare.
If you are having "ARS" symptoms, it's not latent, so you would have tested poz already.
It says it right there, symptoms 1 to 3 weeks before seroconversion.
You don't have it, mellow out.
1997 data, as someone else said.  We've come light years since then.  When I got a needlestick last year, I took one test the night it happened (since you have to document that you didn't have HIV before), and they had me take another 8 weeks later.  End of story.

Many years ago, HCW's used to have to test out to a year after an incident.  Things changed.  Tests improved.
what about epstein barr virus infection?  could that delay seroconversion.  i've had two distinct periods of ars-like symptoms--one at approx 4 weeks (after which all tests came back negative except high ebv titers for reactivation) and another at 5 months.  my worry is that the the ebv could have suppressed the response to hiv causing delayed seroconversion.
Relax,

I know ur fear, this is the sickest I have EVER been in my life and I thought it was HIV......11 weeks negative is very conclusive....the tests are very acurate....

-Sun
i'm worried that the first ars symptoms were from epstein barr and the most recent ars from hiv.  is that possible?  even with a negative rna pcr @ 11wks, i've read that that there are people in whom the virus is latent and may not even be detected on rna pcr until much later.  i know i'm not being rational--just need advice.
You will go insane thinking about what's possible.
It doesn't happen, that is what's important here.
EBV can make people feel **** for a long time.
That's what you got, not HIV
Shiblee,

I know how u feel. I could have SWORN I was infected with HIV. Oh how the mind can decieve. Also, ARS only happens but once. Never again after that. It comes on all at the same time, and leaves all at the same time, that is what compels people to get tested. Some, do not have any symptoms at all, which is rare....but it does happen. I have never seen "truthful" positive results on this forum......I doubt we will.

-Sun   =)
About 5% of people take longer than two months to produce antibodies. There is one documented case of a person exposed to HIV and hepatitis C at the same time. Antibodies to HIV were not detected until one year after exposure. Testing at 3 and 6 months after possible exposure will detect almost all HIV infections. However, there are no guarantees as to when an individual will produce enough antibodies to be detected by an HIV test. If you have any unexplained symptoms, talk with your health care provider and consider re-testing for HIV. ;this is from the cdc.
Quit bringing up dead posts. Look at the date of the last post before replying.
so severly comprimised immune systems take longer to seroconvert because these people are on med or because there immune systems are weak i dont get it shouldnt a person will a bad immune system not on meds test positive earlier?