HIV Prevention Community
Purell On Condom and In Vagina?

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

Purell On Condom and In Vagina?

I had sex with a CSW at a massage parlour and she put Purell, Hand sanitizer on the condom, and on her vagina as I entered her. She told it was KY so I figured it was ok, but I heard water based things can hinder condom efficiency? Please let me know if I'm at risk. Keep in mind the condom didn't break at all.
OUCHY!
that must not have been purell. Could it have been water-based lube in a purell bottle?

Generally the only risky lubricant is Vaseline and other oil-based lubricants, since these cause the latex of the condom to disintegrate. Water-based lubricant is fine for condoms - plus I'm sure you'd have noticed if the condom was disintegrating.
No that is incorrect. Oil base can cause failure. Since your condom didn't fail you didn't have a risk.
I think that you're a little bit confused. WATER BASED LUBRICANT is fine, it's the OIL BASED lubricant (such as vaseline) that can cause the latex in the condom to break down.

I think that hand sanitizer is alcohol based, I'd imagine it would have been quite painful for her if she had used hand sanitizer.