HIV Prevention Community
QUEST Diagnostics

A place to get help from others in assessing your risk of HIV, getting advice about HIV testing or the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices.

QUEST Diagnostics

Not here to ask if my test is accurate or not, but I do have a question about what the actual HIV tests done by Quest test for.  I spoke with a rep at the Company and they said they use the most recent and up to date tests available.  If they are using the most recent generation of tests does that mean that they are automatically testing for HIV-1 and HIV-2?  Have any of you spoken with Quest about this?

Thanks everyone!
Tags: worry
Avatar n tn
I guess I should follow up by saying, if they don't test for both automatically, is it something that I should actually be concerned about?  or is HIV-2 not a concern at all?
Most newer tests in the US checks for HIV-2 as well.  I am sure that yours did - not that you need to worry about HIV-2 in the first place.
Avatar n tn
I was told that the test wasn't specifically for HIV-2 but the most recent ELISA HIV-1 tests are so sensitive they will pick up HIV-2 but just won't specifically identify it. I was reassured though that there is no reason to test for HIV-2 unless I was in Africa or directly with someone who was in Africa.  Basically no medical reason to test for it.
All these statements are correct.
Avatar n tn
That is what I thought.  It was just reassuring to hear it though.  Take home message is:  Unless there is a MEDICAL reason to test there is no reason to test for HIV-2.  In fact, I was told that most testing centers won't test for HIV-2.  Those that do aren't doing so for any medical concern, more so just to consolidate their services and streamline the services.  Also told, that if you were only tested for HIV-1 there is no worry to retest.