HIV Prevention Community
Rapid HIV Test Question

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Rapid HIV Test Question

I got tested for hiv after 1 month of a possible exposure.
The test was the rapid finger prick test which gives results in 15min.
It turned out to be negative.

My question is how reliable is that test result?
I asked the nurse that gave me the test and she said it was too early to get tested because only 20-30% of people develop Hiv antibodies at that time.

What do you think? Thank You
If you would have taken a DUO at 4 weeks it would have been 99.89% accurate.And that nurse is another one of those nurses that has no knowledge about Hiv window periods.It's more like 90% accurate at 4 weeks not 20 or 30%.Don't know how she can make such claims.Take the DUO now and receive a more accurate result.4 weeks is when the p24 antigen peaks.
Your conclusive negative test is 3 months post exposure no matter which test you use.
I would actually recommend testing at 3 and 6 months. I know this is contrary to has been recommended on this website, but CDC states that 97% of people will test positive at 3 Months (12 Weeks), but there is a possibility of delayed seroconversion which has 'unknown' causes. And that applies to the 3% of the population. And some extremely rare cases it can be delayed beyond 6 months. But if you test at 3 months its 97% accurate and at 6 months its 99%. So your 3 Month test is a great indication of your status. Good luck!
Move along. your information is totally incorrect.

http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results