Rapid HIV Test Question
I got tested for hiv after 1 month of a possible exposure.
The test was the rapid finger prick test which gives results in 15min.
It turned out to be negative.

My question is how reliable is that test result?
I asked the nurse that gave me the test and she said it was too early to get tested because only 20-30% of people develop Hiv antibodies at that time.

What do you think? Thank You
If you would have taken a DUO at 4 weeks it would have been 99.89% accurate.And that nurse is another one of those nurses that has no knowledge about Hiv window periods.It's more like 90% accurate at 4 weeks not 20 or 30%.Don't know how she can make such claims.Take the DUO now and receive a more accurate result.4 weeks is when the p24 antigen peaks.
Your conclusive negative test is 3 months post exposure no matter which test you use.
I would actually recommend testing at 3 and 6 months. I know this is contrary to has been recommended on this website, but CDC states that 97% of people will test positive at 3 Months (12 Weeks), but there is a possibility of delayed seroconversion which has 'unknown' causes. And that applies to the 3% of the population. And some extremely rare cases it can be delayed beyond 6 months. But if you test at 3 months its 97% accurate and at 6 months its 99%. So your 3 Month test is a great indication of your status. Good luck!
Move along. your information is totally incorrect.

http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
#4
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results