HIV Prevention Community
Rapid HIV blood test detect antibodies quicker?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

31 days ago I cheated on my girlfriend. I had drunken unprotected sex with a woman I just met. Since the morning after, my life has been a living hell. And I'm the only one to blame.

Three days after possible infection I had two complete STD and HIV tests performed. Both came back negative. I visited an ER, general doctor, walk-in-clinic doctor, and urologist. All except the walk-in-clinic performed some type of blood and or urine test. Everything was negative.

Three days ago, 28 days after exposure, I was tested at a local county health clinic. They offered the rapid antibody HIV blood test. I read online that the rapid blood test can detect the antibody much sooner than the standard blood test.

Thankfully, my test came back negative. The physician's assistant/nurse (not sure of her title) who read me the results said that the test is very accurate and a good sign. I told her that information online states it takes several weeks if not months for antibodies to be detected. She said that she learned that antibodies can be detected within 21 days after exposure.

When she says 21 days, is she referring to the antibody test administered to me? I read online that HIV tests are not effective for at least three months.  Is this referring to another type of HIV test? Was my rapid test different? Can it detect antibodies sooner?

My life spinning out of control, I constantly and obsessively do searches online to see why I am feeling the way I do. Now I am experiencing a tailbone pain that is very debilitating when it strikes. My anxiety and stress levels are through the roof. I no longer have an appetite nor do I want to exercise (run or lift weights). For the last month, all I want to do is sleep and be left alone. My actions and the fact I cheated on my girlfriend, my constant work stress, and non-stop thought of dying is killing me both emotionally and physically. I feel all kinds of pain and believe that I have HIV.

Please any answers to my questions is greatly appreciated. I'm very scared and am thinking about ending my life.

Thank you.
it can detect it faster because it takes a short time to give the results. 13 weeks test will provide you with a conclusive result.
Sir,

Thank you for your response.  I greatly appreciate it.  Three quick questions.  Why is the rapid HIV blood test different than the standard HIV blood test? Is the rapid test a better test at detecting antibodies sooner?

Lastly, was the nurse/doctor's tech who gave me the results correct when she said that antibodies can be detected within 21 days after possible infection?

Again, thank you and I look forward to reading your answers.  I feel a little better about my chances that I do not have HIV but will be certain in two more months.  The last month for me has been emotionally exhausting and I am hurting myself mentally. But at least this is a little bit of good news.

Best regards.
Sorry for late reply, Rapid test is on same technology as other HIV tests. As for detection of antibodies at 3 weeks, that differs.. Research shows that antibodies are produced on average at 4 weeks.. ON AVERAGE. That means other can take less time or more, but a test at three months will be conclusive.

I hope I was of help. Take care.
Once again, thank you for your comments. I understand that the three month test is probably the best indicator of infection. But my rapid test was taken 28 days after exposure. Since the rapid test was taken exactly one month after possible infection, is this a good sign for me?

I know I'm fishing for answers (hope) and trying to remain faithful that I'm going to be okay.

Thank you.
Hi again.  Uhh, 1 month isnt quiet what I will recommend. 2 months atleast.  If you can get hold of the woman, get her tested. Am sure she is negative.... wait for atleast 3 more weeks and go for that test. It will be negative.... You can bet on  that.