HIV Prevention Community
Rapid HIV (oral) test

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Rapid HIV (oral) test

Okay, so I know I've been advised that I did not have an HIV risk (I had unprotected oral sex with my boyfriend, but I believe he may have cheated on me, therefore of unknown HIV status), but I still want to get the HIV test for my own peace of mind. It's been exactly 3 months since my last encounter with him, so I know the test will be accurate. However, could the possibility of other potential STDs alter the results of the test? For example, say he gave me chlamydia or gonorrhea or something if he did in fact cheat on me -- would that have any bearing on the outcome of the test?

Like I said, this is just for my own peace of mind. I'm incredibly nervous because I feel like somehow, the test will come out positive, but I'm really hoping everyone here is right! Can't wait to post my results.
You never had an HIV risk and you don't require testing.Saliva inhibits HIV transmission.
I understand, but this is for my own peace of mind -- I have read articles where there have been so-called "documented" cases of HIV via oral sex, according to the CDC. Regardless, if you're right, it just means I'm wasting my time today; no big deal. What I'm most concerned about is the possibility of other STDs (assuming my boyfriend cheated on me and contracted one) altering the results of the test. Is this possible?
No other STD will alter the results of an HIV test.If other STDs are on your mind then have an full STD screen.
I know, I plan on having a full panel STD screening done next week when I see my doctor because I'm pretty sure my boyfriend cheated on me. And thank you for your answer :) Like I've said in my previous posts, I'm not trying to ignore you guys; this is really just for my own peace of mind. I'm sure I'll test negative today and I know I'll be able to sleep much easier tonight knowing that information.
Ok--all the best.