HIV Prevention Community
Rapid testing

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Rapid testing

in march 10 i came to this site for support i was scared because i was going to get tested for HIV i was wondering if my boyfriend of 2 years(the only boy i have had sex with sense feb 08) had given it to me because he had recently gave me chalymdia in april of 09 and we got treated for it once and than it did not go away and we had to be treated again..... when we first decided to start having sex unprotected he came inside of me and the following days i was sick throwing up lost of appetite and fatigue and i went and got a pap smear and they said i had chlamydia and than i had started to lose my mind checking the web for hiv symptoms and started to have some of the symptoms i had driven myself crazy but was so scared to go get tested it took a year to build up courage to go and i took him with me and made him get tested to we hadnt had any unprotected sex in the last three months in fact we barely had sex and when we did i made him put on a condom what i shouldve continued to make him do from the beginning we went to our counties health department they gave us the hiv rapid test where they prick your finger i was so scared that was the longest twenty mintutes of my life we both came out Neg. and for the moment i felt relieved and than i started feeling like i still had it but i barried those feelings with them still popping up from time to time i was thinking the lady couldve did or read the test wrong....... than a week ago i was having these horrible headaches i got rushed to emergency they gave me a cat scan and a spinal tap and i was diagnosed with viral meningitis and they tried to test me for hiv again because they said that it could come from hiv & other things amongst that and i said no because i was scared  they had scared me  by saying that when i was already questioning my results......... now im back to where i started believing i have it again & im scared to go get tested again but im going to!! what do u guys think ? how accurate is a rapid test? im back scared for my life smh! i just need to talk to someone!
Get tested-there is controversy over the sensitivity of the Ora quick rapid and generally other rapids especially within the window period range -either 2 different rapids or a lab test will surfice.If you are from North America your CDC,FDA guidlines -guid testing there.The African cine is becomming a different game.
thanks for your advice
your test is conclusive...you dont have hiv.
Thanks for commenting Lizzie ... one last question do you think it was possible that she couldve did it wrong because now hes coughing up mucus and is sick .. .
I'm not trying to bug u or ask all these obsessive questions I'm just scared for my life & I thought this was over he is coughing up mucus having back pain feet & hands going to sleep & he's often sweaty now & me I had the viral mengitas my hands and feet tingle! I just don't no I built up the courage to go get tested came out neg now still having symptoms and worried about this!!
Your test was conclusive and you definitely do not have HIV. You are overreacting because you've been so scared about this, and you're looking at symptoms through very fearful eyes. You are fine- your test results prove this! Just try to relax and know you do not have HIV. Those symptoms mean nothing in regards to HIV.
I truly do hope that i am just going crazy & scared because it would be so hard to live with this ..... i went threw and read a couple of the post and i no you guys get a little fustrated with those that keep constantly posting things when they have absolutely no risk & i dont want to be that type ..... im having tingling and burning in both my feet sometimes when my eyes water they burn and i had a rash appear on my back and have no idea where it could have came from ...i have not had any unprotected sex in a very long time sense the incident actually & in face i have not had sex in the past three months because of my fear I am scared out my mind and these symptoms he & i are having has me questioning our results ..... i just dont no where to go from here .....
Well then don't be that type ;)

It's a funny thing how you can see the irrationality of others who excessively post because you can view their "exposures" through non-biased eyes and see plainly they were never at risk. But when you look at your own situation, it's a looooot scarier. Well, I am looking at your situation from a very logical, educated, and rational viewpoint- and you had a test result after 3 months and it came back negative. There is VERY strong scientific evidence supporting the undeniable fact that you do not have HIV. Be happy and let this go! You have to learn to let go of your fears and just live your life. Trust what you have been told. As a nurse, I would never lead a patient astray, and I treat posters on this forum the way I would treat someone at the hospital I work at. I am open and honest, and if I thought for one second you were at risk, I would tell you so. You've had the reassurances of multiple people who have sound knowledge on this topic and the fact remains that you are negative.

Be happy!!! Move on from this. You're gonna be just fine.
Hi I was writing u again smh I really don't mean to be a burden but my boyfriend called me today saying his throat hurt so bad he can barely talk everytime something is wrong with me or him I think we have that! Do u think it's something else we could have? Please don't be upset with me I'm really trying to move on and everytime I do it's something new with one of us .... I'm so tired of this & so scared tired of crying I resent him it's just a sad situation! Ur the only person who I can talk to that has been genuine! Thanks
If you want to talk with Avonelle38 then PM her. This is not the place for a conversation and we can only help you so much. Your time would be better spent in the Anxiety forum.
ok sorry thank you!