HIV Prevention Community
Recent possible ARS symptoms

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Recent possible ARS symptoms

I am British and live in the UK and have recently been dating a Kenyan lady. She has had at least one recent partner of unknown HIV status.

We have been having unprotected sex for approx one month and including during her menstrual cycle. About one week  ago, the following symptoms developed:

Mild but persistent headache
Aching muscles in the shoulders and neck, arms and, to a lesser extent, thighs
Aching bones in both hands
Dry mouth

I have had no fever, rash, cough, cold.

I know that I need to wait for several more weeks before I can take a conclusive HIV test.

It is possible that these are ARS symptoms or would ARS always be accompanied by fever and malaise.

Thank you in advance....

Symptoms or lack of will not tell you anything about your status. HIV has no specific symptoms. You can test 3 months post exposure to obtain your conclusive test result.