HIV Prevention Community
Recently contracted genital herpes and concerned about HIV

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Four weeks ago I had protected anal sex and unprotected oral sex with another male of unknown status where I was the bottom.The following weekend I gave oral sex to 2 males at a club of unknown status.There was no ejaculation. During the course of the evening I fingered my anus while going to the bathroom.

Three days later I developed lesions on my anus.  Prior to this I never had any type of outbreak or sores on my body.  A doctor determined they were genital herpes, but unfortunately they have not been confirmed by a blood test.  This will be confirmed at a later date when I get an outbreak and can have a swab done. I went on Valtrex and the lesions went away.  I'm currently on once daily Valtrex to suppress any future herpes outbreaks.

I don't know if I contacted genital herpes with the first male four weeks ago or while I was at the club the following weekend. I'm concerned I may have contacted HIV during either one of these events. Herpes is a new subject for me.  I've been tested before (August 2012) for herpes and it was always negative.

My question

1. Assuming I don't have herpes and transmit it from someone else, what are my risks of getting HIV at the same time?  I realize the risk if you have HSV and there are open sores, but very few of the discussion postings talk about those recently infected with herpes and the possibility of being co-infected with other STI's.  Can HIV also be part of the skin to skin contact?  

I apologize if I'm not wording this correctly. Basically I want to know if I should be concerned about other STI's being transmitted when I got herpes.  From aha I understand the herpes and HIV virus are completely different and I should not assume having herpes means I have HIV.

I can live with herpes, but am freaking out about getting HIV.  Ever since my diagnosis my body feels like an open receptacle for any STI.  My test results won't be in until next week.  

Thanks for any information you can provide.
this forum is hiv specific and you had no risk for contracting hiv.
Have an HIV question?
100,000+ doctor answers