HIV Prevention Community
Risk Percentage

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Risk Percentage

So I just started working in the section of the laboratory that I work for that tests for particular marks in patients blood to determine if a HIV positive individual can undergo a particular treatment or not.  As I was putting the caps back onto a large number of samples (which had been washed 3 times with T10E1, washed 3 times with PBS, centrifuged after every wash so to discard the red blood cells, placed in a 56 degree oven for 30 minutes, then finally a 100 degree oven for 40 minutes... Chelex had also been added and of the estimated 310ul of sample, about 305ul was Chelex solution) so to place them in cold storage. I felt a very tiny amount of HIV positive sample pop into my eye from under my face shield.  I then went and washed it out for a minute or two.  I reported it to my supervisor but I'm still very concerned.  Does anyone know my chance of infection?  

All of the heme was removed from the sample so the white blood cells were all that was left.  But a large amount of solutions had also been added, along with 100 degree oven time for 40 mins.  Would HIV still be active?  If I could be infected when should I get tested to find out?    

Note: This occurred about two weeks ago.
i think you have to take test right after explosure to find if you was positive beafore thise exedent  and call PEP hot line post explosure profilactice or went to emergence room right after explosure,but its too late now becoase pep good for 72 after explosure i am surprise your superviser dont telll you thise ,  you can test  at any location for antybody test after 3 and 6 mounths,but  beafore you can use early detection test wich is avaliable at any hospitals or phisiscians ,i dont recomend internet  comerscial labs beacose  some labs use like proviral dna by pcr or rna by pcr  tests  but thay not fda apruvvet and  home made by thise labs, if you wonna use test for early detection find FDA apruvvet one ,i think infection desiase docter can help you
Forget about testing with PCR tests they are not approved diagnostic tests. I'm sure your supervisor in the lab followed the proper procedures. If you have a concern go back and talk to the supervisor about the bloodborne pathogen guidelines that they have.
HIV positive blood came in contact with your mucous membranes (eye) which DOES warrant a risk - as you probably know. I am amazed your supervisor did not discuss the bloodborne pathogen guidelines with you. I would, personally, weigh my risks.

The problem is that the blood was only washed with the T10E1 and PBS and then centrifuged ... and then, like you said the red cells were discarded but the sample STILL contained the virus regaurdless of the red cells. If it were me I would assume that there was a viable concentration of virus in the sample (because it was being put into cold storage?)

I'm curious, what was the viral load of the sample?

Anyway, I would get tested just to be sure because you have a minimal risk but still a risk.

and, please be more careful with those face shields.

Test 4-12 weeks
Test 3 months
Test 6 months

There is nothing you can do so get some sleep.
Would the 100 degree (Celsius) oven for 40 minutes have made a difference in the HIV infection risk?  
Ignore Nickolas290 response.
i think hiv goin to be death by thise time its  very hich temperaature
I'm not sure whether or not it would have made a difference because I've read many studies where laboratories use abnormally large concentrations. In short, in most cases the virus dies under extreme circumstances - it is, after all, not the most resilient of the viruses like HCV, but there are variables that play into account like the viral load - but I would say your supervisor should have at least went over the situation and steps with you because what he did seemed to be pretty assinign.

If I were in your shoes I would talk to him more about it and ask him these questions he should know as the supervisor but either way you have a very minimal risk of infection if any.

Good luck babydreamer and I've had a few face-shield scares myself so I can kind of relate.
If you would have read the post. She is working with patients blood. She is not working in a research lab that uses high concentrations that is not found in humans and the blood was heated to 100 degrees Celsius which is 212 degree Fahrenheit. HIV will not stay active at that temperature. Now move on.
hhhuuummmm...sounds a little familiar.

p.s....NICKOLAS...hiv does not die.  it is neither dead nor alive...it is active or inactive.