HIV Prevention Community
Risk of HIV Through Safe Sex If Partner's Status is Unknown?

If you believe you have been exposed to HIV and want help to judge your risk, would like advice about HIV testing, or have questions about the effectiveness of condoms or risks associated with specific sexual practices, this is the site for you.

Last time I had sex was in November 2011 I was the receptive partner and the condom ripped, I immediately stopped rinsed off and got checked at 8 weeks. My test result came out negative. I did not go at the 12 week mark to retest. Days after testing negative in January I moved to Mexico since I am a citizen in Mexico as well. I am currently living in Mexico and am working now so I have just not had time to retest. I also didn't really want to have sex for a while after that experience, so I just didn't. However in around May or June (not so long ago) I had sex with a guy I had been dating for a few weeks. Things were going good and it just happened naturally. While we were dating he would joke that some people don't like him and have spread a horrible rumor that he is HIV+ I did not worry about it and believed him that it was a rumor. So after a few weeks of dating I had sex with him, safe sex. I penetrated him and had sex for a while and pulled out and we ejaculated while masturbating. Then a few days later we tried having sex again and he wasn't really in the mood for it so after like 5 minutes we stopped. Once again it was safe sex (condom on, and water based lubricant). Both times I was the top and did not ejaculate in him. Things didn't work out between the two of us so we called it off. Days later a guy told me that how could I have sex with him if he has AIDS so I told him how do you know and just questioned him. The guy didn't want me to tell the guy I was dating what he had told me so I just thought he was lying. I confronted the guy I was dating we talked and cleared things up he said he was HIV- and that of course it was a rumor that's why he told me since the beginning cause he knew that would happen. We still remain friends and he reassures me it is all fine. I believe him I find relief in believing him and honestly I had no worries about a potential risk since it was safe sex until the other stupid guy told me that. My question is, was I ever in any real risk of contracting HIV? Am I just the victim of some horrible gay drama, and there is no risk since I took the necessary precautions? I can't help but worry I am human and it is normal to worry when things seem uncertain. I feel like I did the best I could I practiced safe sex and was careful. I appreciate any honest answer in regards to this dilemma.
You had protected sex. You didn't have an exposure.
The reason why I am worried is because what the third person told me, and the guy I dated has been feeling sick lately and wants to go get some tests done to see whats wrong with him. He assured me it wasn't std related, that it is related to other stuff hes been feeling sick about. Regardless I can't discard the possibility that he may be lying. I know I had protected sex that keeps me calm, but should I still get tested? Should I even worry when the test date comes up?
No you do not need testing, you didn't have an exposure.