STDs and standard testing
I am a college student currently investigating the standard STD testing procedures for a biology paper.  When someone is concerned that they have been exposed to a sexually transmitted disease and ask a doctor to give them a general STD test, which STDs do they typically test for?  I'm particularly curious because of a past experience I had.  After being exposed to what I feared may have been an infected needle, I went Kaiser to get an HIV test.  I told the medical professional my story and assumed that, in addition to the HIV test, they would test for all other possible STDs.  A few weeks later I was notified that the test had come out negative.  After a few months went by, I received a called from Kaiser to notify me that I had tested positive for HPV.  Though I was very upset, I told my partner and we decided all we could do was acclearn to live with it.  A few months after that, my partner contacted me to say he was told by his doctor he had herpes. I didn't understand why this wouldn't have come up in my first test.  Neither my partner nor I had been with anyone else.  I finally went in to test specifically for herpes and found out that I was, indeed, infected.  Since then, I've researched HVP and herpes more.  It's alarming how wide-spread these diseases are, though many people have no clue they've contracted them.  I'm guessing HPV is a part of a standard STD screening, but why not herpes?  Am I right in thinking you have to request a herpes test specifically?  Could the spread of these diseases [particularly in young adults] be slowed by more encouragement from doctors to younger patients regarding testing?  How can we better educate young people about the STD epidemic in the nation?
Only women get tested for HPV, and it's a part of the annual gyno exam, not STD screen.
I don't think herpes is part of a regular STD screen altogether.
Urine PCR for G/C.
Serology for Syph and HIV.
I think that's it.
What is the standard method for testing for STD's and HIV, How long doe's it usualy take for results??
There is an STD forum to answe questions on STIs other than HIV.

Time for results depends on the lab, machine utilisation and the purposes the testing machines are used for. Some labs process blood donations too and protecting the blood supply is a priority. Historically HIV testing was to protect the blood supply before HIV testing then was made available for individuals to ascertain their status. With the advent of Anti Retroviral Treatment ART then Highly Aggressive Antiretroviral Treatment HAART it became more advantageous for an individual to find out their status so testing has had an increased uptake.

I have a problem with people swearing for their partners and what they partners do or not do.
You can only swear for yourself and your behavior.Another thing, some people honestly don't know their own status when they start a relationship with to you.
You must be responsible and get both of you tested before you ever have.
I always ask my doctor specifically for HERPES, HIV and  genital HPV.
because they are not always included in STD panel.